OK...I'm at my wit's end...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused!

So this morning, I was on my way to my car and the people who "own" Francis were walking by - the mom was taking the two younger boys to their bus stop. They saw Francis (who was just hanging out and walking away from the house...my boyfriend had fed him breakfast a bit earlier. They said "Hi Francis" and the mom scooped him up and let her boys head the extra little bit to the bus stop while she took Francis back home and put him inside.

The mom's never met me in person and the boys didn't get a chance to say "hey, that's the girl who takes care of Francis." Perhaps they told her when she got back to the bus stop. I feel a bit like a stalker.

On one hand, it was nice to see her take him home...he wasn't fighting her or anything and seemed quite comfortable in her arms. On the other, I know it's just a matter of time before he escapes again (if he hasn't already...perhaps not with the boys in school) and starts taking up residence on our porch again. I had stopped taking him home for food (due to the lack of dish and apparently lack of concern over their wandering cat) and just started feeding him 2-3 times a day here. I'm thinking maybe whenever he shows up, I'll just take him home and knock on the door so that he goes inside for food at least.

Honestly, maybe he really just does like visiting. He doesn't seem overly bothered by other animals (we have both dogs and cats around here frequently and he just struts on by like a big man). Hopefully once it gets cooler (it's been very nice here lately...maybe a little chilly at night, but I think he sleeps under our porch) he'll have the good sense to go home.

And no, of course, I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of taking him in, but it's not a realistic option right this moment.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK...I'm not sure if anyone is even following this thread anymore, but Francis' story just keeps getting more and more interesting.

This morning, I went out to feed Francis. He was not there (although another stray has caught on and started visiting...just what I need!). I figured he was out wandering, as he's been less and less regular lately. I thought maybe it had something to do with the other stray hanging around.

My boyfriend came out to leave for work, and he started looking around. He could hear Francis! We looked around everywhere, finally looked up, and saw Francis meowing down from us from an upper window of the house next door (another house separated into apartments...not Francis' "home")! LOL...I was so surprised!

He meowed at us for a little while and then walked away. He's in there somewhere! Hopefully warm, happy, and full!

In any case, I just wrote up a note to the people living there and made my best guess as to which mailbox to put it in. Hopefully it makes it to the right place! I basically just gave a general background of Francis' story, what little information I know about them, told them I gave him revolution about a week and a half ago, and gave them my contact information. I'm hoping maybe this is a good home for Francis! Only time will tell, of course!

I'll be keeping my eye out for Francis as well as trying to figure out what to do with this second stray cat. She is very skinny, doesn't look any older than a year old, and I suspect she doesn't have a home (I've seen her around at all hours and she's very skiddish...won't let me anywhere near her...but will eat if I keep my distance). I emailed the local rescue to see if they are taking in right now, although I suspect they aren't. I gave them a sob story and I know they have their adopt-a-thon this weekend, so I'm hoping they'll make room for her. I think she'll need to be trapped though!

I'm becoming the neighbourhood's crazy cat lady! Luckily, other than Francis and the white/gray girl, I haven't seen any other stray cats hanging around!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am keeping up with this story.

I am SO glad that it seems like he has found a home!

I hope you are able to figure something out for the 2nd cat.

Let us know if the new owners get in contact with you, I am curious what they have to say, I bet you are too!

You are an Angel!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where my parents used to live, there was a "neighborhood dog" left behind when some people moved. All the neighborhood knew him - most of them had dogs anyway - and about 8 families basically co-ordinated feeding and caring for him. Wherever he was when it was nasty weather, they'd let him in. One family took responsibility for putting Advantage or whatever it was on him, but they all chipped in to pay for it. No one knew who his local vet had been, but they took turns each year taking him to the vet.

Sounds like Francis is becoming a neighborhood kitty!

I hope you found the right mailbox.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought I should update Francis' story...although I'm not really positive that I know exactly where it stands:

I THINK Francis is living next door now. After seeing him in the window and putting a note in the mailbox, someone did respond to me via email. It was the young guy (around 20 maybe) who lives there...I'm thinking his girlfriend lives there too (there are 3 apartments in the house so it's hard to tell who is who). In any case, he said that Francis had been hanging around a lot lately and trying to get inside. So, one day they decided to let him upstairs with them. They said he hung out for a bit but they made him go back outside when they had to go out. However, when they got back, he was still at the house and again hours later (not surprising...Francis took up residence on our porch several times as well). So, they decided to let him stay up there.

It did sound in the email as if they were planning to keep Francis...I passed along the information of where he comes from, basically saying that if he was happy up there and they could care for him, they should probably just keep him...as his owners didn't seem to care either way. I said that I had their email and phone number if he wanted to contact them...and he hasn't asked for that information. I emailed the guy back hoping to get a little more updates on how Francis was doing...but I never heard back.

I haven't seen him in the window, however, so I'm not 100% confident he's still there. Before, he would come to the window when we called his name. However, due to being caught "peeking" in their windows by, I'm assuming, the girlfriend, I have avoided yelling his name. LOL...I don't want to be thought of as the neighbourhood peep...I swear, I just want to see the cat!

If Francis was outside, I am positive that he would be around. So, I'm pretty sure he's in there, even if I can't see him.

As for the gray and white cat, I've been feeding it (I thought girl, but the little girl downstairs told me she saw his "parts") every morning and every night. I just basically put food out whether he's there or not and he comes and eats, usually right away. He's getting more comfortable...he doesn't always bolt when I come out the door...he often just sits where he is (as long as I don't get too close) and watches while I put the food out. I emailed the local rescue here and they basically said that the best chance is to call animal control - and that depending on the cat's shape/temperment, it would quite likely end up in their shelter. Too much of a risk for me...especially since I know they've drastically reduced how many animals they are rescuing from AC. It's been nice weather here, so I haven't been too concerned so far...especially since this guy is so skiddish and would have to be trapped. However, I'll have to do something for the winter. If I can't get him into a shelter (I had no bites on a forever home for a friendly cat...hightly doubt I'll get many for a skiddish one)...then I'll make him a winter shelter for some warmth and protection.

So, Francis, who I think desperately wanted a new home, seems like he's found one. He's a charmer...I knew he could do it! And, of course, I still have work to do with this other cat. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning...

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dont know the history but just from what I read I would just keep that cat inside to stay with you, every chance that there is to make an outdoor cat and indoor cat I take that chance to give them a better life, I never let mine outdoors and the ones that I rescue never get back outside either. Some people think its ok to have an outdoor kittie or indoor/outdoor kittie, I do not, there is to much that can go wrong, if it were me I would just keep him indoors and with me to stay furever or get it a home from my place, get it vet care, name it, and just keep it, Id tell that family I saw it get hit by a car and its dead and just keep it, they wouldnt see it no more but thats just me, they dont care about it , and its needs that caring all the time and no outdoors they will get over that, just need a window to look out of , I think you should get it a collor with name and your address, vet care and keep him you can put him up for adoption and make him his own web page at catster.com

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buehler740

dont know the history but just from what I read I would just keep that cat inside to stay with you, every chance that there is to make an outdoor cat and indoor cat I take that chance to give them a better life, I never let mine outdoors and the ones that I rescue never get back outside either. Some people think its ok to have an outdoor kittie or indoor/outdoor kittie, I do not, there is to much that can go wrong, if it were me I would just keep him indoors and with me to stay furever or get it a home from my place, get it vet care, name it, and just keep it, Id tell that family I saw it get hit by a car and its dead and just keep it, they wouldnt see it no more but thats just me, they dont care about it , and its needs that caring all the time and no outdoors they will get over that, just need a window to look out of , I think you should get it a collor with name and your address, vet care and keep him you can put him up for adoption and make him his own web page at catster.com
Thanks for your opinion; however, neither of these cats are mine. Both are strays that I've been feeding just to help out. Taking them in isn't really an option at the moment, for reasons explained in various other threads. My two cats are both indoor only and will always remain that way.

As for outdoor cats, people have different opinions, yes. With the exception of barn cats, I don't like the idea. However, in this case, it's really not a decision between indoor/outdoor, but rather outdoor and fending for itself, and outdoor and being fed and cared for. Right now, I'm working on getting this guy to trust me...then perhaps we can look into vetting/neutering/rehoming.