OK I have to say this

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is kind of embarrassing, but I saved and dried all the roses husband gave me during the 4+ years we dated, so I took all the petals off and added a little essential oil and that's what our guests threw when we left the reception.

I guess it's kind of weird but I had the space (and was drying herbs anyway); I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the dried roses but they were put to good use in the end.

emrldsky, wow beautiful dress!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

i thought that was true as well...i really want glitter thrown at mine, but BF made a good point about how glitter would stick all over everyone, the rose petals is a beautiful idea tho, maybe i would do that, or get some type of shiny glitter like confetti
I still have the "poppers" I ordered. They were advertised as streamers but when I popped one it also had confetti in it. They are white and silver. If your interested PM me. I don't know what I'd ever use them for.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

This is kind of embarrassing, but I saved and dried all the roses husband gave me during the 4+ years we dated, so I took all the petals off and added a little essential oil and that's what our guests threw when we left the reception.

I guess it's kind of weird but I had the space (and was drying herbs anyway); I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the dried roses but they were put to good use in the end.
Aww... that's sweet! If I'd done that there wouldn't have been many petals to throw.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

But I do think that if you give Alka Seltzer to seagulls they will die. I don't think it's quite as dramatic as exploding, but I do think they die.

I thought people dont throw rice at weddings because it could get into other peoples ears...

I read somewhere about a person who was deaf in one ear and then a rice got in her ear and she was deaf in the other ear too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

We had bubbles too.
Bubbles can leave soap stains on clothing though, and that's not such a good thing on anything dark, satin, velvet or dry cleanable. IMHO the best thing to do is to throw plain white confetti and then spend the time vacuuming it up. Plain white paper won't hurt the birds and it is biodegradable so it will break down.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

I was always told that as well....
We had bubbles at our wedding
my oldest brother had bubbles - there was one REALLY cute pic of my youngest nephew thru the bubbles, laughing! my sister - i think we did birdseed for her [it was over 25 years ago...]

Originally Posted by cats4sky

i thought that was true as well...i really want glitter thrown at mine, but BF made a good point about how glitter would stick all over everyone, the rose petals is a beautiful idea tho, maybe i would do that, or get some type of shiny glitter like confetti
glitter also is really painful if it happens to get in the eyes [which is a possibility if it's being thrown]. i would think something a bit larger, like a shiny confetti, would be better. they make confettis in all sorts of shapes - you could probably get some 'wedding themed' confetti that would be really fun.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend's daughter had bubbles at her wedding. We also released butterflies! That was so awesome! I would totally recommend that! They hung around in the courtyard for a long time, landing on the bushes and people. Jenni had one one her veil and on her shoulder, that was sooo cool!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I ended up getting in an argument with my own mother over this lol. She started in about how bad it is to throw rice during a wedding, and how it will kill the birds.

This is a myth, just like it's a myth that feeding seaguls will make them explode lol.

I can't believe even after explaining it she still wouldn't believe me! there are birds that actually stop in the rice fields to fill up during their migration too.

Parents, even though you always think you know more than your children, sometimes they are right!
I had a roommate in college who, although he was otherwise intelligent and well-informed, believe the "cats suck a baby's breath" old wive's tale. Nothing I could say would convince him it was hooey.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

My best friend's daughter had bubbles at her wedding. We also released butterflies! That was so awesome! I would totally recommend that! They hung around in the courtyard for a long time, landing on the bushes and people. Jenni had one one her veil and on her shoulder, that was sooo cool!
I would have loved to have done that! Butterflies were kind of part of my wedding theme but we didn't have the budget for live ones.