Ok I have a question about different breeds

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely confused about this whole "breed" thing with cats. Like I thought calico was a breed of cat then someone told me that that's actually a color. So is short-hair a breed oor..yeah I'm just confused can someone help me!!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

I'm completely confused about this whole "breed" thing with cats. Like I thought calico was a breed of cat then someone told me that that's actually a color. So is short-hair a breed oor..yeah I'm just confused can someone help me!!
Calico is a color of hair, not a breed. Moggy cat can be calico. Short hair is not a breed, it's the lenght of hair, which is short. Moggy cat could be short, medium, or long hair.
Breed would be Persian, Ragdoll, Siamese, Birman, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

Calico is a color of hair, not a breed. Moggy cat can be calico. Short hair is not a breed, it's the lenght of hair, which is short. Moggy cat could be short, medium, or long hair.
Breed would be Persian, Ragdoll, Siamese, Birman, etc.
Then what's Jack Daniels? On his card it just said Short-hair..

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He is short haired black moggy cat. Short hair means he has short hair. His color is black. Moggy means he is not of any specific breed.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Your Jack sure is a handsome boy!
He would also be considered a black Domestic Short Hair (DSH). The cat associations use the term "domestic" which is the same thing a "moggie".

It is confusing, a lot of people think that tabby cats & tuxedo cats are breeds.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree that he is a handsome fellow.
I've always had a soft spot for black cats and he is an excellent speciman.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happens with tabby, which is strictly speaking a pattern which can come in many colors. To make things even more confusing
, there's two tabby patterns, the "Classic" which is the swirlies on the sides (like Narsil in my sig) and the "Mackeral" which we usually think of as a tiger pattern, being the stripes.

On the adoption cards you will see DSH, or DLH, or sometimes even DMH, which merely means a cat of mixed origins (does no one use the term "alley cat" any more?) and is descriptive of coat length with DSH being like your Jack (Domestic Short Hair,) DLH being something with hair like a Persian (Domestic Long Hair) and DMH (Domestic Medium Hair) being something somewhere in-between (like a Birman or some Maine Coons.)

If you really want to learn about it, the CFA web site has some very interesting articles.

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok yeah I get it now..I also just really wanted to know what breed I have living with me for there was a point when my aunt asked me why kind he is and it was kinda embarassing telling her that I don't know.

I just simply said "I don't know..a black one!" lol

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

He is short haired black moggy cat. Short hair means he has short hair. His color is black. Moggy means he is not of any specific breed.
So basically I have a mix breed?

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy

Your cat is a purebred 100% cat with a leg on each corner, a head at 1 end and a tail at the other and an attitude inbetween.
Great answer!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Nope, a black Domestic Shorthair.
Which is the same as black moggy cat, frequently referred to as mixed breed.
Albeit technically it's not a mixed breed, even CFA uses this term while describing moggy cats.