Ok Guys, Help Me Settle An Argument Between Me And My Coworker.

SmolCreeperCat

Cat Herder
Kitten
Purraise
So I always believed that a calico cat was primarily white, with solid, defined patches of other colors, usually black and red. A tortie has a black base coat and brown and orange sort of brindle pattern with no defined patches of color (other than maybe the face and legs, from what I've seen). So what do you call a cat that has tortie coloring and also some white patches? My coworker keeps saying it's a calico, but in other areas of the world they'd term it a torbie and white. In our shelter system I keep labeling it just as a tricolor, and my coworker keeps changing it to calico :lol: Needless to say, what is the difference between calico, tricolor, and a tortie? And what would YOU call a cat with white patches and tortie patterning?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you: Tortie with white. Perhaps a tuxedo tortie, depending on the placement of white.

A lot of primarily white with the 3 Calico colors (tricolor): Calico (the white is self-explanatory).
A lot of primarily the 3 calico colors (tricolor) with patches of white: Tortie with white (or tuxedo tortie).
Both have the tricolor gene.

So, you and I agree anyway.

I'm sure you have opened a great debate here, such as the one you are having with your coworker! :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, what a gorgeous tortie/white! :thumbsup: I love her white mittens too.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also depends where you live - Calico is not a term that is used in the UK for example - there are torties and tortie & white.

She's gorgeous btw :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She so beautiful, I love her! Yeah, she looks like mostly Tortie, except for that one white part in the front, and her paws and chin.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your coworker older? My parents used to call all cats that looked like that Calico, they never used the work Tortie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SmolCreeperCat

Cat Herder
Kitten
Purraise
It also depends where you live - Calico is not a term that is used in the UK for example - there are torties and tortie & white.

She's gorgeous btw :)
Unfortunately she has the tortietude IN SPADES. She's been with us a few days and still tries to eat our eyeballs when we approach her. I'm suspicious that she may be feral as she's a stray cat but hopefully (for us anyway) she's just a very scared sweet lady.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe... but doubtful... I have a 70 year old aunt who lives in CA, who had calicos for a while (white with color patches), and she definitely called them calico.

Also, I think of calico colors to be more in big splotchy patches... what you have here seems more stripey or mottled, kinda blended. That, and the primary dark background is what makes tortie in my mind.

:2cents:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreeing with everyone else, I want to say, this splendid beutie could after alll be called for a calico. She is somewhat mottled/ spreckled, she is, and thus she is a tortie with white. Still, the colors are decently holding together in big fields, and thus, its no big fault to call her for a calico.
The best compromise is perhaps to call her for a three colored cat. :) Which is true for both calicos, and tortie with white.

I want to mention, all such questions about the exact pattern are more difficult with longhairs. Its easier to decide on shorthairs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Torbie has been mentioned. Torbie means our tortie has also a tabby pattern on the dark spots.

Why not on red? Because all reds are tabbies, so it wouldnt be no sport. So unless the tabby pattern on red is verrry protruding, we pretend we dont see it if its on the red / creme spots.

So tabby on dark fields, becomes torbie or torbie with white.

IF its a calico three colored + tabby, the labels becomes more complicated. Patched tabby is one label probably the official one. Some may say caliby. There may also be other labels which I dont remember at this moment.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could label her Tortie/Calico. I've seen some shelters and rescues do that, since some people like my parents still call all cats that color Calicos.