Ok dumb question ....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...but how do I find out what Internet Explorer I have. I think it's IE 7 but I'm not sure. I have been looking into different programs to try and locate this information but still haven't found it
Any ideas?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Thanks SW, it did work and I only have IE 6.0
I would highly recommend upgrading to a later version. IE 6 isn't being supported anymore and probably has security issues.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still on XP? Otherwise 8 does have some fair security options built in, though they're not on by default so you'd have to go through your settings to correct that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I would highly recommend upgrading to a later version. IE 6 isn't being supported anymore and probably has security issues.
I use Firefox for most of my browsing and IE 6 is still working well for me when I do use it. My Norton Security has me fully covered so far.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Norton Security has me fully covered so far.
Surely you know Norton is one of the worst antivirus programs, right? I hope you at least occasionally scan with an online scanner, like malware bytes.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Surely you know Norton is one of the worst antivirus programs, right? I hope you at least occasionally scan with an online scanner, like malware bytes.
Norton is great and I've been using it with yearly upgrades since I have owned my computer and NEVER had a problem. Whenever I don't understand something, I just call their customer service and they have been wonderful, even called me back once when they were busy. I have no problem with Norton and will continue to use them as my security.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Norton is great and I've been using it with yearly upgrades since I have owned my computer and NEVER had a problem. Whenever I don't understand something, I just call their customer service and they have been wonderful, even called me back once when they were busy. I have no problem with Norton and will continue to use them as my security.
Never believe that you're fully protected, no matter what you use. Complacency is what gets people.
Do run the online scanner I suggested every few weeks, just in case.

But, likely the reason you haven't had any issues is just because of your surfing habits. I sort of doubt you'd be the type to ever go to sites that would be higher risk for picking something up.
Always question any link given to you and anything that ever asks you to verify any information.
For FireFox use some of the nice add-ons they have - Better privacy, No Script (can interfere with Java occasionally), Flash Block, and Ad Blocker. That should help with a lot of the nastier stuff that gets sneaked onto sites (or in site ads).

Newer IE does offer some of the same protection in it. 8 is actually quite a step up for Microsoft. Please do consider it even if what you have now seems to work fine. Again, people rely on complacency to get malware onto you computer in the first place.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Never believe that you're fully protected, no matter what you use. Complacency is what gets people.
Do run the online scanner I suggested every few weeks, just in case.

But, likely the reason you haven't had any issues is just because of your surfing habits. I sort of doubt you'd be the type to ever go to sites that would be higher risk for picking something up.
Always question any link given to you and anything that ever asks you to verify any information.
For FireFox use some of the nice add-ons they have - Better privacy, No Script (can interfere with Java occasionally), Flash Block, and Ad Blocker. That should help with a lot of the nastier stuff that gets sneaked onto sites (or in site ads).

Newer IE does offer some of the same protection in it. 8 is actually quite a step up for Microsoft. Please do consider it even if what you have now seems to work fine. Again, people rely on complacency to get malware onto you computer in the first place.
Thanks for the info.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the info.
I hope some of it proves useful to you. If you ever have any more questions, ask. Someone will do their best to answer.

I've switched to linux a couple years ago because I got sick of windows. Even though I'm at lower risk I'm cautious with what I do, have some extra security features set up, and use a firewall. Again.. complacency is always the basic problem for people.
I think eventually it'll get all the Mac users who think that simply having a Mac will prevent everything.

wendyally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please upgrade from IE6 quickly! It is full of security holes. That, and the fact that many sites don't "support" it, meaning that all other browsers will display the website correctly, but it will look funky on IE6.

Norton does do a good job stopping malware if you keep it updated, run scans regularly, etc. That's not the chief complaint about Norton. It is a total resource-hog, and it is very "invasive". It can really slow down the performance of your computer.

Firefox is great, BTW. Fast, and safe. IE gives me the creeps.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to the lounge today, too busy but I need an answer to this tech question. I always update any books I get on an XL program and keep them on a floppy. Anyway I forgot to load in the floppy when posting the books in my XL. When I remembered I put in the floppy and then hit save, will the books be on my floppy now? Just wondering.

By the way, I have put everything on my Firefox from my IE. Altho I still have IE, I don't use it hardly at all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't see this. I don't know the program you're talking about, but generally nothing is so automated that it will instantly know the floppy you put in is the one you back up specific books to and that you want them saved then - especially if the program is closed. Simply open the program save them through it again or copy them over to the floppy from the folder that you usually save them to on your hard drive.

Computers don't read minds, so you have to do the work.

Now, there are some back up programs that can be scheduled to back up certain folders or even all contents of a hard drive on. But that's not really what you're talking about here.