Oily patch of fur at injection site

gowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Friends,

I have a 5 month old kitten named Siri. She's had diarrhea since I got her and the previous owner said she had it even a little while before. Today the vet said she has giardia in her feces. The vet gave me pills to feed her but she also injected something to help her stomach lining or something like that. The injection went in between her shoulders like usual and everything was fine. We just got home though (vet is closed now and won't pick up phone) and there is a weird oily, greasy patch of fur around the injection area. I ran my hand through it and it felt like grease but somehow dryer and the smell is very odd. I don't know if you've ever smelled the stuff that unflavored medical pills are made out of, like ibuprofen or aspirin? That's what it smells like.

Shoukd I be concerned? Is this a normal reaction? Thank you for your help!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be something called "blowback" where some of the medicine leaks out after injection.

Imagine... A doctor uses a needle to poke a hole in the skin and inject liquid medicine. Some of that liquid might leak out of that tiny hole in the skin. This can happen in humans just as it can happen in animals.

Blowback isn't exactly common but it does occasionally happen. There are some things that can be done to minimize the chances of blowback but it is difficult to prevent in 100% of all patients. Sometimes, it just happens.

It would be good if you called the vet back, the next time they are open, and ask. They'll probably just tell you to clean the area with a wet cloth or soap and water then call them back if there are problems. Generally, this is nothing to worry about but it's really the vet's call. Not some random guy on the internet. ;)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I agree with Caspers Human Caspers Human that you are probably seeing leakage from the vaccine. The vaccine might have been administered a little sloppily, or your kitten might have wiggled. However, call the vet and let them know that it happened just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys, that eases my mind. I cleaned her up with a wet towel and apart from her diarrhea, she seems better now.

Attachments