OHNO - My Frogs

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Bad Tipsy! Dan, I'm glad to hear they are okay.

Good idea to put them in another room away from reach. Either that or get a lid with a lock!! Hey, that's an idea!!
My older kitties use to do this to my fishtank. I actually had to tape a screen lid on it!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Susan

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How scary....sometimes our kitties are just a little too curious aren't they. Glad to hear your froggies are okay, and that they can't be bothered by your fur kids!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

How scary....sometimes our kitties are just a little too curious aren't they. Glad to hear your froggies are okay, and that they can't be bothered by your fur kids!
Cats are so-called "natural born killers". They aren't just curious. They hunt. Especially these cats, that are being allowed outside. I am sure if they see a frog outside, they will hunt it and most likely kill it. So, is it any surprise they are going after the frogs at home?
They are probably confused as to why they can't hunt the ones at home when they are hunting similar ones outside.
Even my cats, who are persians, and whose ancestors didn't hunt for I don't know how many years, will try and hunt my birds if they get a chance.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad we are on different continents as I always have trees frogs stuck somewhere on my house. They was one last week that had really cool camoflauge (sorry spelling) that tried to blend in with the siding of the house. They are noisy creatures though-are yours???
Bad kitties!!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Dan - that must have been such a shock - baaaddd Tipsy
. I'm so glad they are all alright, if a bit shaken.

Tippy did the same think with daughter's mouse once - even though the lid was held on with all sorts of contraptions.

Tree frogs are so lovely - daughter has always been into frogs. There is a lovely one on an advert on TV here at the moment. He has the most gorgeous little feet.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this!! What a horrible scare!! I'm so glad that they're OK, if a bit shaken up. I can completely empathize with you...it's really amazing what kitties can do when they put their mind to it.

We used to have a cockatiel. (He was my sister's but after she developed an allergy we took him in). I KNEW the cats were all after him and had him hanging where I was certain he was safely out of reach. One day I was getting ready for work and heard loud birdy screeching from the other room. I ran out there and found Tailer ON his cage with his greedy kitty jaws just inches away from the bird. I about had a heart attack! I still have no idea how he got there.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got two geckos (a leopard and a patternless leopard) and my cats dont try to get them. Though they will watch them with dialated pupils when I have them out of their tank (for feeding and stuff) They dont try to jump onto things to get to the tank though....

I once had a snake that was very strong and could push the lid off of the tank... so we ended up putting a five lb rock on top of the tank and that stopped her from escaping. Try putting a big rock on the top of the screen so your cats cant move the lid
But yes, one of the lock down ones works better than ones that just sit on top of the tank. Petsmart should sell them and I dont think they would be too much... but I have never bought a top from petsmart so I dont know

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now seeing this thread! Oh crud Dan!
I can only imagine how your heart must have jumped into your throat when you saw that sight!

How are the froggies right now?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Cassie's idea of a big rock on top of the lid! Maybe the kits were trying to scare you into labor, so they can meet the new baby?

We used to have a cat and mice, when I was a kid. Sometimes the cat would sit on top of the screen lid, with her claws into the screen, and try to jump up and pull off the lid. If the cat wasn't on top of the cage, often the mousie was inside, claws in the screen, trying to bounce the lid off the aquarium!

I was babysitting kids with a cat and a hampster, and the cat somehow got the hampster. Luckily, his cheeks were stuffed full, so the only injury was a puncture wound through one cheek, which he fully recovered from! But it was a scare!

Hope your frogs are recovering.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Danielle, I just saw this thread. Well, after reading your 1st post, I prayed that your little frogs would be ok. I never prayed for frogs before.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Danielle, I just found this thread too .
I have never prayed for froggies before either.
Rest assured...I am now.
Naughty Tipsy.

How are your frogs doing? Are they OK?

Lei

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwww thankyou everyone for your thoughts and prayers
wow it means the world to Chris & I

Both frogs are doing fine
thankfully. One of them did develop a large lump on his back and did not come out of his hiding place for days, but yesterday during feeding time I noticed that it seems the lump has gone - I am SOOOOOO SOOOOO relieved

they both seem like they are back to normal, so hopefully its all good news from now. I still havent cleaned up the tank completely yet as I still dont want to stress them out. The one that got the lump is still petrified, poor little thing.
I will need to clean out the tank soon as their is still a fair amount of cat fur in there

The tank is now moved every night into a spare room so the boys never have access to it if we are not around. This is not the best solution obviously, but its the best one I can offer right now until I can purchase something else. I just dont have the energy to go walking around all the stores right now.

The brick IS a great idea, however I still wouldnt feel comfortable leaving the tank out with them at night at this stage... I think this is the best option for now, the frogs feel safe and secure and so does their Mum!!

thankyou again everyone for your prayers and support
board magic has worked once again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the quality of the photos arent great but....

here is sir kermit

and mr frog (the one with the lump)

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear that they are doing okay. They are both cute, Flash and Diesel (my baby turtles) say hi
to Sir Kermit and Mr. Frog.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Danielle...your frogs are adorable.

I love their names...Sir Kermit & Mr Frog.

Thanks for sharing their pictures. Awwwww

Lei