Oh no :( Orijen is sold out!! Alternatives?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Acana is repackaging their products.

Wild Prairie will become Meadowlands

Acana Wild Prairie - 5 lb. bag 500 kcal / cup., 70% animal protein.

Acana Meadowlands- 4 lb bag 460 kcal / cup, 75% animal protein

So, we're getting less product, with a slightly higher animal protein profile. 

I highly dobut we'll see a conrresponding price decrease, but we'll find out in Spring/Summer 2016.

What a disappointment.
Hmm I wonder what prompted the change. I mean i guess in some ways this is a good thing because they're improving the quality of the product rather than lowering it. But i think a lot of people buying Acana because its cheaper than Orijen, so upping the price might put some people off. 

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hmm I wonder what prompted the change. I mean i guess in some ways this is a good thing because they're improving the quality of the product rather than lowering it. But i think a lot of people buying Acana because its cheaper than Orijen, so upping the price might put some people off. 
I had seen this change too, it doesn't make that much sense unless they change Orijen accordingly as well to differentiate them. Maybe upping the Animal % or introducing a FD line (as they have for dogs)?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had seen this change too, it doesn't make that much sense unless they change Orijen accordingly as well to differentiate them. Maybe upping the Animal % or introducing a FD line (as they have for dogs)?
That would be really exciting if they introduced a FD cat food. I don't understand why they haven't because yeah, they have it for dogs. I feed cat & kitten Orijen, so I'd be interested to see if there are any changes coming. 

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That would be really exciting if they introduced a FD cat food. I don't understand why they haven't because yeah, they have it for dogs. I feed cat & kitten Orijen, so I'd be interested to see if there are any changes coming. 
Agreed, I would definitely give it a try. I believe I had read somewhere that Champion had bought a Freeze-Dry kitchen in Canada, but I can't seem to find the article.

On the other hand, this press release from Champion regarding the Kentucky facility strongly implies that Orijen in the US might change as well:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ThinkKentuckyThinkFAQ.pdf

Q. Will I still be able to get my ACANA and ORIJEN food ?

A. Yes. Although our made in the USA foods will be re-formulated to fully reflect the regional agriculture.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Agreed, I would definitely give it a try. I believe I had read somewhere that Champion had bought a Freeze-Dry kitchen in Canada, but I can't seem to find the article.

On the other hand, this press release from Champion regarding the Kentucky facility strongly implies that Orijen in the US might change as well:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ThinkKentuckyThinkFAQ.pdf

A. Yes. Although our made in the USA foods will be re-formulated to fully reflect the regional agriculture.
Your siberian cats are beauties.

I'd love to find them locally.  I'm sure my ragdoll would appreciate another furry companion.

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Your siberian cats are beauties.

I'd love to find them locally.  I'm sure my ragdoll would appreciate another furry companion.
Thank you so much :) We had to get Siberians because I'm allergic to most cats. We were fortunate to find a  Breeder a few hours away that was getting out of the business, so it was the closest thing to "saving" a purebred cat. They're super friendly, with a dog-like personality :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm. I'm always weary when companies make vague references to changes like this. I've used Orijen for years and more recently I've been feeding 1/2 Orijen 1/2 Ziwipeak air dried as a snack for my kittens and my picky senior but i was thinking about going back to Orijen because I'm not that thrilled with ZP anymore and just alternative with Orijen's RR and C&K. But now I'm not sure pending this upcoming changes. I guess it'll take a year or two for those foods to make their way into the market. 

21rouge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FWIW I have been trying out "Subzero" by Nutrience and "Ultimate Protein" by NV.

turdmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can actually recommend Nutrience SubZero Prairie Red cat food. It actually has the same amount of protein as Orijen and the ingredients list is even better than Orijen. 

Ingredients: Deboned beef, deboned lamb, deboned wild boar, beef liver, lamb liver, wild boar liver, deboned bison, pork meal, lamb meal, salmon, herring, cod, cod liver, peas, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whole eggs, red lentils, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, natural pork flavor, sun-cured alfalfa meal, freeze-dried beef liver, freeze-dried pumpkin, freeze-dried green mussels, freeze-dried cod liver, freeze-dried kelp, salmon oil, herring oil, coconut oil, pumpkin, butternut squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, apples, blueberries, cranberries, pomegranate, juniper berry extract, ginger, fennel, chamomile, peppermint leaf, licorice root, turmeric, valerian root, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, inositol, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, vitamin B12  supplement, vitamin D3  supplement, folic acid), minerals (zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), potassium chloride, choline chloride, salt, taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, chicory root extract, yucca schidigera extract, yeast extract, thyme extract, glucosamine hydrochloride, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, L-carnitine, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus helveticus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product.

My cat does like it, but not as much as wet food. 

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hmm. I'm always weary when companies make vague references to changes like this. I've used Orijen for years and more recently I've been feeding 1/2 Orijen 1/2 Ziwipeak air dried as a snack for my kittens and my picky senior but i was thinking about going back to Orijen because I'm not that thrilled with ZP anymore and just alternative with Orijen's RR and C&K. But now I'm not sure pending this upcoming changes. I guess it'll take a year or two for those foods to make their way into the market. 
We were doing 3/4 Orijen, 1/4 ZP, for a while but it seems like our girls don't like ZP anymore. We're planning to phase it out. Our girls really love NV UP so we've settled on that for the long term.

Hopefully whatever changes they make to Orijen are for the better, moving production to the US should result in either a better product or a lower cost, but it certainly doesn't always work out that way.