Oh no, I think I have strep

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my god, I've had those things for years and never knew what they were! Yeah, they are really gross, but my throat always feels when they're gone.

Tricia

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they sound nasty! I'm glad I don't have my tonsils anymore

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

me, too - had 'em out 47 years ago [back when that was the norm,
]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

me, too - had 'em out 47 years ago [back when that was the norm,
]
I'm surprised I never had my tonsils yanked. I would get hit with strep every year as a kid. Then I just stopped getting it for some reason. I asked my doctor once if it's possible that I build up an immunity to it from having it so much and he said no. Oh yeah, I never had chicken pox either.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm surprised I never had my tonsils yanked. I would get hit with strep every year as a kid. Then I just stopped getting it for some reason. I asked my doctor once if it's possible that I build up an immunity to it from having it so much and he said no. Oh yeah, I never had chicken pox either.
well, you can still have them removed... but adults usually get quite ill after a tonsillectomy. kids just breeze right thru it! all i remember [i was 3] is that i got to eat all the ice cream i wanted! [see, i was a foodie even then!]

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well, you can still have them removed... but adults usually get quite ill after a tonsillectomy. kids just breeze right thru it! all i remember [i was 3] is that i got to eat all the ice cream i wanted! [see, i was a foodie even then!]
Eh, there's really no point in me having them removed now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

You could still get them, even without tonsils (palatine tonsils) - depending on what was removed, if anything grew back, if your lingual tonsils produced them, etc.

Further research - the "gunk" is also made up of dead cells from your tonsils themselves and they are one of the leading causes of tonsillitis apparently. So if that swelling doesn't go away soon, definitely get to a doctor.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You could still get them, even without tonsils (palatine tonsils) - depending on what was removed, if anything grew back, if your lingual tonsils produced them, etc.

Further research - the "gunk" is also made up of dead cells from your tonsils themselves and they are one of the leading causes of tonsillitis apparently. So if that swelling doesn't go away soon, definitely get to a doctor.
My throat is starting to feel better.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get those tonsil stones too and when I`ve had GA`s in hospital the anaesthatists would always coment on my big tonsils
. I really hate them and would love to get them taken out but I had a friend who kept geting throat infections and the last I heard her doctor refused to refer her to a surgeon because he said the risk of her dying from post op bleeding was really high
I don`t know if there was some other factor with her but they don`t seem to do it over here very much any more

I just make do with poking the bits out when I see them or worst TASTE them
But be careful, I`ve made mine bleed and then they were REALLY sore!