Oh my this is just awful

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a very interesting story behind them! I suppose it's sad that so many BYBers cling to this idea of mixed-breeds for money.

What do you think about Curly Coated Retrievers / this website: http://www.geocities.com/ccrhearts/Poo.html

(ETA: Curly-coated retrievers are actually a breed, recognized by the AKC in 1924... not another cross-- perhaps there's been some confusion about this)

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to have a proper look in my lunch break!!! Just for the record, though, I am certainly not an advocate of breeding crosses just for kicks and making money. The Labradoodle came about because of a very definite purpose (as explained in that link) and so I am more tolerant of this, and am definitely behind it to become a proper, registered breed in the future. But I do work in rescue, I am a trainer and I do see on a daily basis the unwanted/abandoned/abused/neglected puppy and dog situation in this world, brought about in huge part by all the irresponsible people out there who think that mating dogs is harmless and fine - especially when they think they can make big bucks out of it. This is NOT a good reason to create litters of `fancy' crosses.

EDIT - Ok back again - I had a look at that link, and noticed your edit, too, and was going to say, aren't they already a recognised purebred? I remember seeing them when I was studying gun dogs and they are lovely looking dogs - a lot of water breeds have thick curly coats to help protect them from the cold water, and give them more buoyancy. In fact the original shaving of the poodles' hindquartes was also so that their thick coats would not weigh them down when wet and retreiving waterfowl - although its a pity that's led to such over-the-top grooming styles today, huh!!

But here's a little-known fact; there is some speculation that the Labrador and the poodle are amongst the parent breeds of the Curly Coated Retriever!! So that bodes well (IMO) for the future of the Labradoodle in terms of being recognised eventually

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's shocking that people are messing around with these dogs to make a few quid or look cool. I'd heard of the cockapoo before, but mixing a german shepherd and a poodle! Are they crazy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you would read further into Labradoodles, you would find that the originators (in Australia) have abandoned the idea because you cannot get consistant type/prediction on "non-shedding" dogs.

So they will NOT be recognized as a breed. Wishful thinking. We at the labrador message board are totally against labradoodles. They are NOT hypoallergenic, nor are they guarenteed not to shed. Also the Poodle Club in AKC is finally doing something about the flood of dogs that are crossed with poodles!

And IMO they are not a pretty dog at all.

As far as recognizing any of the "poodle crosses" as breeds, the only one that might stand a chance is the cockapoos - they seem to be more consistant in general. But it was the cockapoos and not the labradoodles that started this whole mess of cross breeding.