Oh My Lord!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up, my family used to take a lot of vagabond holidays, loading up the VW bus (and later the RV).

We camped very remotely in the Cascades, the Rockies, the Blues etc.
My stepdad taught us about cougars and what they sound like, he always told us that if we hear a baby crying, or a woman screaming sound, chances are pretty good that the cat was probably not very close and that those particular cries have two purposes.
One purpose was for the cougars to 'hook' up in breeding season,or for the male to announce their pressense to the resident female, and the other was to warn off any would be interlopers from their range.
He said in both cases, the cats are generally too preocccupied with other cats to worry, or even care about humans.

The time to worry is when you hear the low, growling, chuffing roars, because bass sounds, even though they carry well, are generally out of a human's range of hearing unless they are close.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just listened to the file - it freaked Jamie and my husband out! That's scary, but I would imagine a stalking cougar would remain silent, i.e., it's the ones you don't hear that you have to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

<snip>The time to worry is when you hear the low, growling, chuffing roars, because bass sounds, even though they carry well, are generally out of a human's range of hearing unless they are close.
If you lsten to one of the wav files - ?maybe the last one, it is of the most chilling, low, serious rumbling growl.

DH still wonders with all the ridges/trees between this park and enumclaw, and how the sound became louder as we moved towards the part of the park parallel to the White River, if this is not a captive cougar but one out and about. We will be asking them if there was anything else that could sound like that, that they know of in the park, and mention all of this to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I just listened to the file - it freaked Jamie and my husband out! That's scary, but I would imagine a stalking cougar would remain silent, i.e., it's the ones you don't hear that you have to worry about.
One heck of a sound isn't it?