Oh my, is all I can say!

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mac is scheduled Monday to be nuetered. He will be 6 months old the middle of November. All of a sudden, the last couple of days, he has been acting different than usual. By different  I mean he is sniffing eveerything in the apartment over and over again. I'm worried he might start marking. He also is starting to acy like hes boss toward Mia.Just now he attacked her from behind by jumping on her back and biting her neck. I've never heard Mia sound as upset as she did, ever before. She got away and he did it 2 more times (yes Mia is spayed).

Do you think he will continue to get more aggresive as the week goes by? I definately dont want him hurting Mia (he never has before, they are best friends) or spraying if thats next. I've never had to deal with this before as the male cats I have had have always been nuetered when I adopted them from the shelter. Mac was different as I saved him from a horrible situation at 6-7 weeks old. I havnt nuetered him yet as I havnt had the money. The last 3 months in a row he and Mia have had vet visits for other reasons and I'm on SSDI so I only get a check once a month and its not much.  :)  I get my check Friday though and have already figured up bills for the month including his nueter (my vet only charges $55). So it is getting done I just am scared he might be hitting puberty and start "buisness" before then. Am I worrying to much? 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Mac is getting TOOTERED

I think he's showing natural urges which tells you you've timed it perfectly!  IMO, they will be fine until next monday, I think if you were to wait a signicant amount of time the spraying and other behavious would manifest, but I think you're ok for under a week.  My cat was doing the same thing just prior to his neuter on his 6 month birthday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Called my vet a little bit ago. They had a cancellation tomarrow so they put him on the schedule. Yay! I have to have hime there by noon and pick him up around 5:30 -7:00. He is getting his declaw tomarrow too. He has to for medical reasons that came up with me over the summer. Dr. and vet think its best. So I have the next few days at home with him. Not doing anything but caring for him!

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please please please read these forums on declawing and reconsider.  If you start clipping their claws while they are young and provide appropriate items for him to use his natural instinct to claw,  I can GUARANTEE you won't have a clawing problem. 

If you decide to de-claw, be prepared to have a different cat than the one you dropped off.  There will likely be behaviour issues that are far more difficult to deal with than training him where to claw appropriately.  I know if they amputated my fingers off, I would be traumatized and never get over it.

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats I had declawed over the years before I knew what I know now but none have had behavior or physical problems after.

I had a stroke in July and am now on 2 blood thinners. I also was taken to the hospital 2 weeks ago and they have decided it was a small stroke (I'm only 48). I also have been "blessed" with thin skin that bruises and tears easily. I have tried clipping nails since I got him at 6 weeks evey week to 2 weeks I clip them. He hates it and has bitten and scratched me several times while doing it. I have never cut the pulp either. I last cut them Friday and have a bite mark to show for it and it bleed a little over an hour. I have tried soft paws a few weeks ago and he chewed them off. He's a little stinker!  :)  He claws on his play center, which is good. The other is mainly accidental as he is a good kitty. I just cant take the chance of skin problems. I get blood pooling under my skin too. Sometimes just from bumping things.

Not trying to make excuses, thats just how it is. He will have me at home with him for several days without having to run anywhere. I am disabled so I wont have to go to work. I am shopping for grocerys and getting him some wet cat food (its a treat for my 2) today, so I wont have to go anywhere. I will post how he's doing tomarrow.   

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree strongly - declawing is not the simple cosmetic procedure that many vets make it out to be. It is not for nothing that it is now illegal in many countries throughout the world, including all of Europe. even some US cities have now forbidden it. If you want to know more please go to the link below where you will learn that the operation involves cutting off the cat's 'fingers' at the joints, so it can never run or dig again properly. It may resort to other methods to defend itself, like biting, and can NEVER be let out as it would be easy prey for aggressors. Please work with your vet and doctor to find alternatives -many exist, like softpaws.

http://www.thecatsite.com/search.php?search=declawing&currenttab=Article

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You posted before I could get mine up, so you have answered some of my questions. But I still say please do not do it. I would even say if you have to have a cat declawed before you can live with it, then you should not have a cat. No pet should be mutilated to convenience its owner, even if that owner has severe problems (and I am sorry to hear of yours and hope you get better health soon).

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your health, but I have to agree.   My Cricket used to chew off his soft paws, I just needed to either add more glue, or hold them on for almost a full minute for them to fully set.  As soon as one came off or was chewed off, I replaced it.   After a while on the soft paws he learned where he should and shouldn't scratch.  Can you get someone to help you clip once a week?   Also, if you start handling, petting and kissing her paws to get her used to having them handled, you should have better luck with the clipping,  and give her treats afterwards.  My cats always know the clipping results in treats.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One other point on the softpaws (it's been over a decade so my experience isn't recent).  I found Cricket to be more accepting of the clear ones, the colored ones seemed to draw his attention to them.  I would put the drop of glue inside, slip it on, and make sure I could see the glue (another reason for the clear) was making complete contact to the entire surface of the nail.  I would then hold the softpaw onto the nail tightly for a full minute.  They were way less likely to fall or be chewed off if they were on really tight in the first place.  Good luck with everything!

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with the vet and Mac is getting nuetered only tomarrow. My daughter will help me with getting his nails trimmed for now on. That should help with the biting and scratching during the process. One thing I have worried about is that Mia is all four paws declawed. So far she holds her own when they play and wrestle but as she grows I am worried about something happening (they wrestle hardcore but have never hurt one another). I know Mac will be a big cat as he already weighs 7.6 lbs and will turn 6 months mid November. Mia weighs 11 lbs.(neither is overweight just big as in stature). I dont think he would ever purposely hurt Mia. I'm just worried.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with the vet and Mac is getting nuetered only tomarrow.
That's awesome that you are giving this a chance and took the time to really think it over.  So many people just make up their mind and that's it.  I am so PROUD of you! 

All my cats have all their claws, Cricket, my 13 year old, is about 9 lbs and the kittens I just took in are right at about 6 months.  One of the kittens - Clancy - has out grown Cricket and he's over 10 lbs!  Rufus is only 6 1/2 lbs. The kittens are manx, cobby cats. Clancy is going to be a horse.  

Believe me, Cricket was not too happy with having two kittens disrupt his peaceful life and there have been spats between all three at once!   They always use their velvet paws when slapping each other around.  There has been not one actual scratch ever in nearly three months. You are an
 and have made my day!!!  In fact you have made my week!  Maybe even my year!

Bump this thread up!

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mac just had his "last meal". lol  Nothing else until after the "dead is done".  :)

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Mac. He is so unhappy right now. He just laid down on my feet on top the footstool and is staring at me as if to say "WHY?????". He sat where his food and water bowl belong for at least ahalf hour waiting for food. He is used to being free fed so this is hard for him (Mia too as I wont let her eat until he's at the vet).

I'm glad I waited the last few months til getting him nuetered as I was going to have him declawed then too. If I hadnt had all thoses unexpected vet bills it would have been done already. I really didnt want to do it but I felt I needed too. I'm glad I decided not to as I remember what it was like bringing Mia home and her recovery period. Guess I will be taking the bag of Yesterdays News back to Petco next week when I go to the city. Not going to need it. Wasnt looking forward to that either!

I'm sure with his attitude and spunk he will be up and going when we get home tonight from him getting nuetered.  :)

faustandfigaro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't get over the idea that declawing is allowed in the US... It is strickly forbidden by law in France, as cruelty towards an animal.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you are wonderful!!!!!:clap::clap:

|I can understand that it will be difficult to get everything worked out over the next weeks and months, what with your health and Mia getting adjusted, but I am sure it will be worth it every thime you look at him and thnk what might have been. You will find a lot of info and advice here on how to stop scratching on furniture, and prevent fights, as well as using softpaws and other aids. I know we all look forward to working with you on keeping all three of you in good health and at peace with one another.

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to reply to your statement about your other cat being declawed. I've had 2 declawed cats (both seniors, I adopted that way). Jeffy was the most awesome boy and he wrestled and played with the rest of my crew. They had no idea he was declawed. He kept everyone in line and the only time I was truly worried about him being declawed is when we fostered a puppy for 2 weeks. (Puppy would jump on Jeffy in play and Jeffy would 'swat' him but puppy would just think he was playing. The same with Solomon now. I doubt the other cats know he's declawed at all.
Thank you for not declawing. Jeffy always 'scratched' in the correct places - even being declawed. Solomon "scratches" the couch but it makes me so sad to watch. He's just trying to do what cats do.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, Mr. Mac is probably going to be a little drunk this afternoon when you pick him up.  Again, I can't tell you how proud I am of you!   I almost cried when you said you reconsidered the declaw.  Please do not listen to anyone who thinks it's ok to do this proceedure. 

I am here (and I am sure there are many others) to support you in this decision.  I will be glad to help you if you encounter any issues that you need help with.  Either post or feel free to pm me.  And please let us know how Mac is doing this afternoon.