Oh my goodness! That fish jumped out of the tank at me!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'd freak if ever my fish jumped out too! My first algae eater almost did several times before he died. Then the algae eater I now have has almost before too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

Sounds cool i would get one just because they make good decoration (no offence) lol there pretty. But Faith or Dayton would try and eat it there goofballs if it moves its in there mouth and i can't restrict those stinkers from jumping everywhere. Got to love the fur-babies :p.
I mean this in the most kind way possible- but please do not get one as a "decoration" even though they're small and they're fish- they are still animals with needs and they should not be considered an accessoy
If you do decide to get one that is great- but be aware that they can live up to 5 years so you should be prepared to take care of one for the longevity of it's life as well as the expenses that go along
I agree with you though- they are gorgeous animals. But they are not for everyone. They have to be cleaned out regurally and have their tank maintained well in order to thrive. They aren't as high maintance as many other fish our but they definitely have their costs. They can actually get a bit expensive- Here's the "tab" for buying the things to get my nephews tank set up today- maybe it will help you if you get a tank:

$24- 1.77 gallong fish tank with light/etc-
$3.5 - gravel
$3.99 - wallpaper
$2.00- acrylic safe sponge to clean tank
$3 - stress coat (small bottle)
$3 - freeze dried blood worms
$5 -plants
$6 - tank figurine (with no sharp edges or dangerous parts)
$1.99 fish net
$.99- 1 gallon distilled water
$4.00- the betta

So even though they're small they still cost a bit of money to get set up- although it is a great investment
If you do decide to adopt a betta- let me know and i'll help you pick out the things you need and set up.
All bettas should have a MINIMUM of a 1 gallon tank- the more space, the better. Many pet stores keep them in tiny containers- which yes they can live in- but will be miserable. Technically a person could live in a closet...but would be miserable so as with a person- the more space, the more they thive
Also- tanks should have a cover with a light as well so that kitties can't go fishing and also so that they will not jump out of the tank

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh I'd freak if ever my fish jumped out too! My first algae eater almost did several times before he died. Then the algae eater I now have has almost before too!
Aww i love algae eaters!
We've had our pleco, Scare, for 14 years
He's MASSIVE he's the only fish right now in our 80 gallon aquarium back at home

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Aww i love algae eaters!
We've had our pleco, Scare, for 14 years
He's MASSIVE he's the only fish right now in our 80 gallon aquarium back at home
Want mine!?! His name is Pierre and he's way too big for my tank (10gallon) but I have no idea what to do with him or how to even get him to someone else. My friend's husband wanted him, but then they had to move and give up their tank. (gigantic one) A bigger tank is not an option unfortunately.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I mean this in the most kind way possible- but please do not get one as a "decoration" even though they're small and they're fish- they are still animals with needs and they should not be considered an accessoy
If you do decide to get one that is great- but be aware that they can live up to 5 years so you should be prepared to take care of one for the longevity of it's life as well as the expenses that go along
I agree with you though- they are gorgeous animals. But they are not for everyone. They have to be cleaned out regurally and have their tank maintained well in order to thrive. They aren't as high maintance as many other fish our but they definitely have their costs. They can actually get a bit expensive- Here's the "tab" for buying the things to get my nephews tank set up today- maybe it will help you if you get a tank:

$24- 1.77 gallong fish tank with light/etc-
$3.5 - gravel
$3.99 - wallpaper
$2.00- acrylic safe sponge to clean tank
$3 - stress coat (small bottle)
$3 - freeze dried blood worms
$5 -plants
$6 - tank figurine (with no sharp edges or dangerous parts)
$1.99 fish net
$.99- 1 gallon distilled water
$4.00- the betta

So even though they're small they still cost a bit of money to get set up- although it is a great investment
If you do decide to adopt a betta- let me know and i'll help you pick out the things you need and set up.
All bettas should have a MINIMUM of a 1 gallon tank- the more space, the better. Many pet stores keep them in tiny containers- which yes they can live in- but will be miserable. Technically a person could live in a closet...but would be miserable so as with a person- the more space, the more they thive
Also- tanks should have a cover with a light as well so that kitties can't go fishing and also so that they will not jump out of the tank
Very well said.

Want mine!?! His name is Pierre and he's way too big for my tank (10gallon) but I have no idea what to do with him or how to even get him to someone else. My friend's husband wanted him, but then they had to move and give up their tank. (gigantic one) A bigger tank is not an option unfortunately.
Can't you take him back to the pet shop? I see people exchanging fish alot, but that's saltwater ones, so maybe you could do it with your fish too?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That should be an easy solution gorgeous!!! Here are a few ideas for you- call the petstore you purchased him from- they almost ALWAYS take them back (think about it- you're giving them back something that they can make a profit off of- they never usually say no unless the fish is ill). If they won't take him back- try the other high quality pet/aquatic stores in your area. Before you take him in though- look at the tanks and the condition in which they're in- you want to make sure they'll take good care of him and he'll be in a healthy environment. Also- if the pet stores won't take him- do you have a zoo/aquarium in your area? The Memphis Zoo ALWAYS takes in fish! They always make room for them in their tanks and can always use algae eaters like plecos- most zoos will galdly take them in as a donation
Also- vets offices normally have tanks as well- see if your vet has a freshwater tank and if they'd like to take him in! Fortunately, fish are normally easy to rehome
If you were closer to me i'd be happy to take him.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.....I got him at Petsmart. I only know of one other place in town besides walmart. I got my first fish from that other place and learned a lesson after the saleslady one day told me certain fish would get along, then a few days later when half my fish were dead and I could see these other guys attacking them someone else at the place told me right. Part of my problem is actually getting him out of the tank. He's about +6"long and I only have a tiny net. I should have re-homed him long ago!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmmm.....I got him at Petsmart. I only know of one other place in town besides walmart. I got my first fish from that other place and learned a lesson after the saleslady one day told me certain fish would get along, then a few days later when half my fish were dead and I could see these other guys attacking them someone else at the place told me right. Part of my problem is actually getting him out of the tank. He's about +6"long and I only have a tiny net. I should have re-homed him long ago!
aww he's not too big now!
my pleco scare is about twice his size
he's old too- we've had him for about 14 yrs. please don't take him to walmart- they do not take good care of their fish. Try to take him back to petsmart if you can. If not- try your local zoo. Also- if you ever have any other fish related questions- www.aquaria.info is AWESOME! It's like TCS but for fish
My sn on there is the same as it is on here. Also- you might need to get a bigger fish net to catch him with- you don't want to use a little one in him as you will injure him when trying to net him. That...or you can use a big plastic cup to scoop him into gently.