Oh my Goodness, ANOTHER kitten showed up at my house on Monday!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wijody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three girls and 2 boys.  I like the boys best.  There is one girl I think I like best and the other 2 could go, but I'm not sure how on earth I could find someone to adopt them when they act the way they do.  They are friendly enough during their 'sleepy' part of day, but they're not cuddly by any means, and they distrust any new face (to the point of hissing and everything).

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Three girls and 2 boys.  I like the boys best.  There is one girl I think I like best and the other 2 could go, but I'm not sure how on earth I could find someone to adopt them when they act the way they do.  They are friendly enough during their 'sleepy' part of day, but they're not cuddly by any means, and they distrust any new face (to the point of hissing and everything).
Honestly I think it's a good idea if you were to start posting them, like on craigslist as indoor/outdoor mouser cats.

It may take awhile but sooner or later someone will respond.

Ranches and farms are great too. I have been relocating cats who are unadoptable for years.

I even took 10 to the football guy Joe Montana of the SF 49ers last year! (talk about a fabulous life THOSE cats have now!) - anyway, wineries too, and many, many homes as well.

You just have to be sure they are spayed and vaccinated of course first.

They need to understand that they MUST be acclimated for at least 4 weeks in a cage or closed room/barn/outbuilding so they have time to adapt, understand this is where they live and will be fed, and become acquainted to their new caregiver and the smells/sounds of the surroundings.

I think you will find it SO much better with 1 female and 2 males, SO much better.

Girls get bossy and tempermental with other girls as they age.

Some will bond, while many will not, as they will very soon no longer see them as siblings but rather competition.

wijody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that honest advice.  I will start trying harder to find homes for 2 of the girls.  Do you think it'd be weird to take a video of how 'friendly' they can be to show people?  I mean, it took a long time for them to warm up to us, but it won't take them THAT long to warm up to a new owner, right?   So if people could see the video, that'd give them a true view of the kitten vs. the snarling, scared looking creature they will see in person (at first). 

They are all fixed and 1 of the females has her rabies (I took all 4 litter mates to be fixed and vaxed and only one was deemed 'old enough' to get rabies, even though they were all the same age).  They've also all had distemper and been wormed a few times.  They all look really healthy and have soft, shiny coats.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a video is a wonderful idea!

While some are more interested in good hunters, others are very interested in being able to interact with the cats too, as well as them keeping the rodent population in check :)

This would be great for showing those who do want to interact just how they will be in time.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is one of my posts always on cl.

SEMI-TAME CATS AVAILABLE FOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR MOUSERS!!

For those of you out there who are having mice issues, we have semi-tame kitties who will wipe out your problems.
Cats who are not quite tame enough to adopt out are ideal for an indoor/outdoor situation, as they are not feral enough for outdoor only, and in time will trust and interact with you.

If you do not want to interact, we also have feral cats available as well.

This is a perfect way to be rid of pesky rodents, while giving a cat in need a place to call home.

If interested please reply to this posting.
It's a win/win situation for both!
Thanks!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just can't agree with making them outdoor cats again. If they're not going crazy inside, scaling the walls and windows and yowling, why put them back outside? It will be winter soon, and they will get cold and miserable, and others could trap them and take them to a shelter where they would be euthanized. Please try to find indoor homes for them! They are still young enough to become affectionate cats with the right owners!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just can't agree with making them outdoor cats again. If they're not going crazy inside, scaling the walls and windows and yowling, why put them back outside? It will be winter soon, and they will get cold and miserable, and others could trap them and take them to a shelter where they would be euthanized. Please try to find indoor homes for them! They are still young enough to become affectionate cats with the right owners!
When they are made indoor/outdoor mousers they have indoor access as well.

There is almost no chance of finding good indoor only homes for what is considered semi-feral cats.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could agree if the owner lives in a climate where it's warm year round. In my area, we had many days of sub zero temperatures last winter and lots of snow. There's also no guarantee that these kittens would be good mousers since they've been inside now and are in the process of being socialized, and also no guarantee that someone who would take them to be mousers would care about them and let them inside. I think they need more time to be fully socialized and then found good homes indoors. I've successfully socialized two ferals who were older than these ones, so it can be done!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know there are literally thousands of unwanted or semi-feral cats that need a home so I am in favor of any home that will feed and house them, whether it is indoors or outdoors. There are just too many and the outcome is usually tragic. ANY home that is not abusive is better then none.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The present owner has put a lot of time and effort into these kittens and clearly cares for them, so I'm confident he will do what is in their best interest.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to see things from a rescuer's point of view, you check the perspective home and adopter out thoroughly, do a follow up check, and are grateful that someone will take care of them and they will live happy lives.

Cats/kittens, whether feral or tame have hunting instincts, they are all capable of mousing.

I've had kittens born here in my cat room, never had any outdoor exposure, and already by 4 and 5 weeks when they are given one of those small puff balls made from real fur they take it in their mouth and go off to hoard it as it is their catch, their prey, growling baby style letting the sibs know to back off. It's adorable.

But anyway, not supposed to be controversial, just an option that is a realistic and doable one :)

Last edited:

wijody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been telling myself all along that if things didn't work out, I could put them back out with their mom.  Of course, that's a dumb thought because I didn't know what I was talking about.  Mom, who comes here at night for food, no longer remembers them.  Just 20 minutes ago the sliding door was open to just the screen and one of the kittens tried to rub herself into the mom and mama cat hissed and did a double-swipe at her face.  So due to mama cat, I don't feel it's safe to put them out here.  But things are evolving here a lot so we'll see ... I still need to have hope that I can find a home for 2 of them. 

The one kitten who has really got an issue with the new kitten, I guess that means she is the most territorial or whatever - should I try to make sure she goes to a home with no other females?  Would it be OK to home her a female litter mate together?  She was fine with her sisters before the new kitten arrived.  I feel like she would have the best chance at being a good cat if she went to someone with NO cats, but how realistic is that?!  Someone who wants their first cat isn't going to want a 'hard' cat - they'll want one like the new kitten that just showed up, who is loveable, sits in my lap, etc.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it will be difficult rehoming her to a no cat home, especially if they choose to get a cat for mousing initially.

This means they don't have one or wouldn't be looking for one.

Yes, you can see who will be the top cat, the bossier, more temperamental one now. 

Sooner or later she would be getting snarky with her sisters too, just to show who runs the show :)

With sibs together from newborn like they are, you will still have specific positions in the home, but the females can have a better chance at remaining buddies then non littermates.