Oh, my Cat Sitter....

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
$1 a minute?!? Maybe I should become a pet sitter. I have a college degree, a professional license, several specialty certificates, frequent educational updates, and 39 years of experience, and I don't make anywhere near a dollar a minute.

If your agreement with her was $1 a minute she should get paid only for the actual minutes she spent with your cats. If you already paid her I would ask for a refund. (Good luck with that). You can let her know that you just wanted to see your kitties while you were away and were not intentionally spying on her, but that you have a record of the time she spent there.

If she charged a flat rate per visit it would be different. I usually have a friend who takes care of my cats when I'm away, and she won't take any money (I take her out to dinner or give her a little gift instead). The only time I've paid a cat sitter it was $15/day. I only asked her to come in once a day, but sometimes she came twice just because she wanted to play with my kitties.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
All these stories make me glad that I have a longtime friend who I can rely on to take care of my cats when we go out of town (which is rare anymore).  She knows the routine with the raw food, meds, and even takes time to play with them.  She does this for me even though she has to tape-roll the cat hair off her clothes before she leaves my house because she has two people at home who are allergic. 

I reciprocate, of course, by petsitting for her dog when they need it.  When I go over, I fix the dogs food as she wants (canned mixed with kibble), and, if it's not too hot, I'll take the dog out for a little walk.  I stay for at least an hour per visit, twice a day.  My cats are not very impressed with me when I come home, but they can deal!  lol

To me, it shouldn't matter what kind of animal it is, if you are being paid (or asked) to care for it, then you care for it.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

All these stories make me glad that I have a longtime friend who I can rely on to take care of my cats when we go out of town (which is rare anymore).  She knows the routine with the raw food, meds, and even takes time to play with them.  She does this for me even though she has to tape-roll the cat hair off her clothes before she leaves my house because she has two people at home who are allergic. 

I reciprocate, of course, by petsitting for her dog when they need it.  When I go over, I fix the dogs food as she wants (canned mixed with kibble), and, if it's not too hot, I'll take the dog out for a little walk.  I stay for at least an hour per visit, twice a day.  My cats are not very impressed with me when I come home, but they can deal!  lol
It's neat you have somebody you can do that with.  That's the best scenario.  

Our next door neighbor is 'aunty' to our three younger cats and she loved coming over to feed and play with them when we were gone.  But once we got the older cats, too, it was too much to ask her to take care of all of them.  There are accidents to clean up, meds to give, etc.  I just didn't want to impose that much.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We usually pay about $15 per day; sometimes more and provide some groceries because we have someone stay here.  I've known the girl probably 15 years; so since we were teenagers.  Apartments in my area aren't cheap; so she still lives at home.  She says it's a little vacation to be on her own for a few days. 
  I feed pretty simple; but I have to be specific with Noodles tendency to eat things like string, ribbon and tulle.  I try to get her things to eat that I know she likes.  I get some junk food type treats too.  I'm really funny about strangers in my home.  So for me; it's got to be someone I know and trust.  Before this my BFF's little sister would house/cat sit since she lived just up the street.  I really don't remember how much we paid her.  

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Horrible things, really horrible. I'm most shocked of how she did neglect needs of female cat whom has suffered greatly because of starving.

With those instructions she should of known better, perhaps she did that on purpose or just being ignorant, but either way I know some people might sue such cat sitter based on harming animals or something of sorts.

I was thinking that maybe showing video to her and ask for explaining of her failures to comply with agreed contract might shake her a bit and maybe she might think twice to pull that off in future?

Surely she should pay back money as she did not filled the contract, but that might be difficult to achieve without court which is lot of time and of course there is financial risk too.
But also you did loose money because of her as you needed to rush your cat to emergency vet. Also your time has some value that you had to use because of her, so moral thing would be for her to compensate all this.

Anyway just dismissing her feels somehow too easy and she might keep doing that for someone else, I just wish that there would be a way to make such persons stop and realize their doings.
That is of course in many way more burden and trouble, so it might be hard to do if not impossible.

I have become so paranoid about other persons that I can't let anyone even into my house as I fear issues with my cats, they are tame only to me and are very afraid of strangers so that is of course bit different thing.

bigdaveyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We usually have my mother in law come over and look over our 4 cats and dog. 

She has a good rapport with them as she is a cat/animal person herself.  They really like her!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago when I went away on holiday my cleaner would come in and feed and water the cats and clean their box.
since my ex moved back in, separate bedrooms, he has been there.to look after them.actually he still cleans their box as I have a bad back.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can find a veterinary technician who cat sits on the side.  Perhaps your veterinary clinic has an employee who cat sits. Veterinary technicians know about urinary tract infections and other common problems. They can't treat them, but they are more likely to recognize health problems. If you know of a local feline rescue group, they may have suggestions. The feline rescue groups may have such high standards that you may have to be interviewed by them before they will refer someone to you.  Good luck. There are responsible, cat-loving cat sitters. I'm one of them!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's infuriating. If that had happened to me I'd be demanding a full refund for every payment I'd EVER made to her, since it's reasonable to expect that's how she's been across the board. I'd definitely be threatening legal action, and informing the local shelters that she behaves this way.

I don't know what we'd do if we ever needed to go out of town, though I'd probably talk to the shelter where we adopted Sinbad and Tempest for recommendations. We keep in regular contact with them, they're a great group. They have an application process before they'll allow an adoption, and I know they refuse people pretty regularly, so I'd trust any cat sitters they'd recommend. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to have an acct with, but no longer do, with www.sittercity.com.

I offered my services as a babysitter/nanny, and I noticed on that site they also had a section for pet sitting..for which I also offered my services. However i never got any requests for pet sitting or dog walking, as i think most people tend to turn to people they and their pets already know. however, anyone who needs a pet sitter, they can check it out. 

i don't know if someone who's seeking help would have to pay to make an account and utilize though.