Oh d-d-dear! Piglet is having kittens!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that the kittens are really less scared if handled BEFORE eyes are open. This was experience with barn kittens - we tried to get them inside by 5-6 weeks old - mom would hide them and we'd have to go catch them. They were much wilder after 5-6 weeks old and harder to handle.

Contrast our last litter (Ling Ling). Her mom was confined in a very large dog Verikennel (only thing I had to use) just before she was due and she had them in there. I would handle the kittens from day one and there was a world of difference during those first few weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your point, GK. I used to think you had to keep a hands off approach to kittens at first, until I read at TCS how the breeders begin handling briefly from birth. Since then, I have spent a little time handling my foster kittens from birth, and have had very good luck.

However, since Piglet has only been here for 5 days, and remains scared of me...and the kits are only 2 days old tonight...I am very willing to give her more time. I do not want to risk having her abandon them.

Today I bought canned food, to start trying to win her with food. The other kitty, Eeyore remains hidden behind the couch. She is shyer than Piglet! I really really hope she isn't preggers!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congradulations on the kits! They're lovely! And Piglet is such a beautiful momma!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, shucks!
Thanks! They are so precious, and Piglet is doing just fine with them!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Cute cute cute!!! More pics please!!
Do NOT encourage me...last night I downloaded 91 pics, from one day. 2 were ds, about 10 of my other foster kits, the rest were of Piglet and her crew! And I work full-time! I don't sit in there all day taking pics, but once I get started the babies are so cute, I just keep clicking! Thankfully I have a digital! LOL!