Oh boy, I'm frustrated!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seems like a damed if ya do, damed if ya don't situation to me.....

One of the things I appreciate very much about my MIL...she repsects boundaries.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.

Knowing her she'll show up anyway.
Please get that woman a copy of one of Miss Manners' books for Christmas. Perhaps toss in a copy of Lynn Truss' Talk to the Hand.

You are a true lady Lookingglass.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a *****! How about next time she wants to come over you tell her you're having a party, all your cat friends are coming and bringing their kitties and she is welcome to join you?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She called and said she wasn't coming because we wouldn't do what she asked. I can tell she really wanted me to argue with her, but I just let it roll off my back. I won't let her try to control what happens in MY house. She'll just have to learn to live with it.
That's exactly what it's about: control. She's testing the water to see how much you will compromise for her. Give in to this and there will always be something else and something more.

Your husband isn't her only Son is he? Some Mothers tend to not like being replaced as the #1 woman in their Son's life.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

next time she wants to come over you tell her you're having a party, all your cat friends are coming and bringing their kitties and she is welcome to join you?
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the compromise of putting the cat into the bedroom after this. Any further invites would be extended without negotiation of what happens with my cat(s) in my home.

I would then start making unreasonable demands each time I was invited to their house. Let her see how it feels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the compromise of putting the cat into the bedroom after this. Any further invites would be extended without negotiation of what happens with my cat(s) in my home.

I would then start making unreasonable demands each time I was invited to their house. Let her see how it feels.
Oh I don't plan on it. She lost all "can you do me this special favor" privileges after this. I extended our invitation for the meal under the condition that we wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t lock up either kitty, she declined again. Then I said if she changed her mind down to the last second she could still come and eat and that we'd love to have her.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh I don't plan on it. She lost all "can you do me this special favor" privileges after this. I extended our invitation for the meal under the condition that we wouldn’t lock up either kitty, she declined again. Then I said if she changed her mind down to the last second she could still come and eat and that we'd love to have her.
Anyone sane would be so proud to have you as a daughter in law. The courtesies that you extent that woman are incrediable.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so proud that your DH stood up to his Mom and did not cave. I am equally proud of you for standing your ground and handling the situation with as much respect toward your MIL as you have!!

All I can say is KUDOS to you both!!