Officially Started Them on Raw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last evening I was SO depressed.  We had weigh-ins because some how I just missed them on Saturday, then on Sunday.  I suspected everyone but Sven had lost, but with Svennie eating like a madman I had hoped he was holding his own.  Not so. 
  These are their figures just in 4 days!

Callie:  Lost .4 lbs

Darko:  Lost .7 lbs

Stinkpot:  Lost .2 lbs

Sven:  Lost .7 lbs 

Now for those of you who've tried to keep up with us, Sven is our CRF cat, 17ish, who's been CRF for about 3 years.  In his prime, he weighed around 12 lbs.  Yesterday he was at 5.5 lbs.  When I have been saying "skin and bones" for months now, I have been literal.  But I just don't understand it, because for the last 3 days or so he has really been eating (although he has NOT been eating at his kibble, which I never took away from him, and I think kibble actually has more calories than canned).  But he HAS been eating much more canned food, plus still eating lots of treats, and WL, AND yesterday he ate quite a bit of raw chicken chunks and the strips I cut for him and everyone else.  And here he is right now wanting more!  So why is he losing?  Could it be the Prozyme?  I thought that would help him gain.  And after weighing him, I put him on his purr pad on our bed (downstairs), and he immediately jumped off and went back upstairs, and seemed to have a really hard time getting up the stairs
.  (yes, he gets Cosequin - twice a day now)  But, then later, there he was in the hallway (upstairs), where he could watch us and hear us and yet keep out of the way of "the boys", which is where he apparently likes to be because every night when I go to give him his pill after our dinner, that's where I find him, then again at late night feeding, that's where he usually is before he goes to bed in his nice comfy bed in my office (all alone
) So...bottom line, I'm afraid switching to raw may be too late for my old guy.  But he loves it! 

Back to raw.  I offered everyone raw chicken strips last night, they just looked at me like "what's this supposed to be?", so I sprinkled with WL chicken.  Callie and Stinkpot licked it off and Stinkpot  tried to bite at it, but never actually picked it up.  Darko didn't even lick at it.  Sven got extra chicken strips, this on top of the entire bag of small chicken chunks that I had frozen a week or so ago for them all to share!  (small bag, but still)

This morning I mixed in NM lamb right into their canned food.  Since we just switched back to lamb again, I put it in their dishes, covered with WL chicken, put in a little canned, stirred it up, then put more canned on top.  (and left some canned still in the can since they normally don't finish.)   Stinkpot and Darko polished off their food.  Callie didn't finish hers, but Darko did!  Then I put out the rest of the food and Darko finished that too!  Guess he was finally hungry

We'll have weigh-ins again on Wednesday, and if Svennie continues to lose, then we're going to have to have a serious discussion around here

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I am so sorry..... :grphug:
Can I ask you something?
How are you weighing them? Is it a human scale or a baby scale? Sometimes human scales are not that reliable..... Even with a baby scale (I have one in here) I have to make sure there is absolutely nothing underneath it - the floor is completely clean and free of dust, otherwise it will give me wrong weights.....
I am just saying this because Sven seems to be eating more and more these last 3 days, and this weight is for the last 4 days.... so something might be going on with the scale? :dk:
My experience with Prozymes - weight gain for all of the kitties - big time.
One thing also that helped to put on weight was WL - that is has a lot of calories.....
It is great that Sven has such great appetite though, that is great news, and that he has been eating canned and raw so much..... That is big time positive news, and something to be happy about it.....
Sending mega vibes your way hun :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes.  We are actually using a Wii Fitness Board to weigh.  It weighs in increments of .2 lbs, and first I weigh myself, then hold each cat to weigh them.  They each have their own little Mii, and their own graph, etc. which holds all their info.  I'm sure it's not totally accurate, because I really don't believe the fluctuations are as large as they seem from one weigh- in to another.  Even my own seem huge.  Loss of 3.3 lbs, then gain of 1.4, then loss of 1.5, etc.  (granted, my clothes make a difference, but not that much, since I never have shoes on, and am usually in jeans and a shirt).  BUT, I HAVE felt Svennie's ribs more, which isn't good. 

Yes, it's good that Sven is eating more, and that he likes WL, AND I've found a local place that sells it, and have a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase.  I figure I can easily buy $50 just in WL!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

No, the prozyme could not be contributing to weight loss. It increases absorption of nutrition from food. :slant:

With Sven eating so well the past few days, I do have to wonder about the scales.

But as he really needs to put on weight... I'd give a call around to local pet stores. See if you can find anyone that carries Ziwipeak, or that can order it for you. Or order some. It is a very nutrition dense food, and on a DMB basis is about 6% carbs. It only comes in lamb, venison, and venison & fish, I think. And it is a thick, dense, pate style food. Will Sven eat pate food? Mine (and Carolina's) didn't like it right out of the can. (Mine do now). My kitties liked the gravy (wouldn't eat the chunks) in gravy/lumpy food. So I put pate style food (like ziwipeak) in a blender with water, and turn it ALL into gravy. :nod: Don't know if that would work (which is why it's best if you can buy just a couple of cans first). :dk:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, it is really worth it to invest in a baby scale. Carolina found an excellent one on amazon for like $36. :nod: You're definitely weighing changes in you and what you're wearing as well.

Of course, I am sorry you can feel his ribs like that - and that is so very little for a formerly 12 pound cat to weigh. :(

More :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally..... Really do think the problem might be a scale problem hun :hugs:
This is the one I am using - it is great - Fao Baby and Toddler Scale

The only thing you need to make sure, is that the surface is leveled, firm and 100% clean - otherwise the weight will fluctuate.... This kitties have no problem getting weighed in.... they just sit, or lay right in it :nod: It is really precise.....

I think this will help you to have a much better picture of what is going on :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally, Sven is not on a schedule, is he? I would not keep him on a schedule right now.... I would just keep feeding him.... If he loves raw and wants to eat raw, feed him raw.... If he loves WL - AWESOME - that puts weight like nothing else..... Feed him canned.... Kibbles.... keep him eating throughout the day..... Don't worry about schedule, introduction..... Just keep feeding the little man..... I would feed him whatever he wants to eat :nod:
It is awesome that he has a good appetite right now.... so whenever he asks for food..... take advantage of it :nod:
By the pattern of everyone's weigh loss in spite of increased eating/prozymes, etc..... I think there is something amiss with the scale - but I don't want to beat a dead horse :lol3:
Tons and tons of vibes going your way..... I am thinking of you :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, technically Sven is not on a schedule, although I do put all the kibble up at night, otherwise the others will get into his during the night, but he isn't eating much kibble right now anyway.  And today, since I posted earlier, he hasn't wanted much of anything other than treats.  Didn't even want raw chicken breast or WL
.  So....temptations treats it was...by the handfuls.  Right now he has Weruva Paw Lickin Chickin just sitting in front of him and he isn't liking it one bit. 

At lunchtime, everyone got served raw chicken strips again, before I put out the canned food, and both Darko and Callie ate one!  Yay!!  Once again, Stinkpot showed no interest at all, even though I held it up and dangled it up in front of him and everything.  Silly cat.  Then, as at bfast, I mixed some lamb into their food and the all ate it.  I was a very happy mama with those three.  It's one way or the other, it seems.

Now tonight we had the new stuff.  Weruva Paw Lickin Chickin.  Was NOT a big hit.  I mixed it up the same as I did bfast and lunch, but really had to add lots of WL just to get them started on it, and no one stayed with it for long.  Funny, though, because it looks and smells just like the Soulistic chicken.  Maybe they were just full because it was Sven's day for sub-qs, and they all get treats afterwards for being good and those treats were WL.  I didn't give out much, and that was 4 hours prior, but who knows

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, technically Sven is not on a schedule, although I do put all the kibble up at night, otherwise the others will get into his during the night, but he isn't eating much kibble right now anyway.  And today, since I posted earlier, he hasn't wanted much of anything other than treats.  Didn't even want raw chicken breast or WL:( .  So....temptations treats it was...by the handfuls.  Right now he has Weruva Paw Lickin Chickin just sitting in front of him and he isn't liking it one bit. 

At lunchtime, everyone got served raw chicken strips again, before I put out the canned food, and both Darko and Callie ate one!  Yay!!  Once again, Stinkpot showed no interest at all, even though I held it up and dangled it up in front of him and everything.  Silly cat.  Then, as at bfast, I mixed some lamb into their food and the all ate it.  I was a very happy mama with those three.  It's one way or the other, it seems.

Now tonight we had the new stuff.  Weruva Paw Lickin Chickin.  Was NOT a big hit.  I mixed it up the same as I did bfast and lunch, but really had to add lots of WL just to get them started on it, and no one stayed with it for long.  Funny, though, because it looks and smells just like the Soulistic chicken.  Maybe they were just full because it was Sven's day for sub-qs, and they all get treats afterwards for being good and those treats were WL.  I didn't give out much, and that was 4 hours prior, but who knows :dk:
:clap::clap::clap: for the good things Sally!
And........... at least temptation treats are balanced and complete :bigthumb: :lol3:
Hey, I say...... not the best....but if he is eating by the handfuls..... and that's what he is eating :dk: then.... that's what he gets - meanwhile you keep trying the better stuff.... But in all seriousness... Temptation treats are balanced and complete, so - at least he is getting some nutrition into him :rub:
:hugs: to momma :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Sally - just loads of vibes coming your way, hun :hugs: I know this is a trying time - especially the worry about Sven. I agree that if he will eat the Temptation Treats - then so be it. I have also used Temptation Treats (crushed) as a topper for Pipsqueak in the beginning of the raw transition. Was the only topper that worked for him. You could even try it crumbled over some wet food OR mixed in with some wet food to get him to eat a little more so you can both feel better :cross: Maybe today they will like the Weruva Paw Lickin chicken too. The other one I have had great luck with is the Tiki cat Succulent Chicken. Same thing - shredded. All of my cat's love either of those products. But that is no guarantee that ALL kitties will love it as we all know so well. :sigh: Hoping for a fantastic day for you today :D :clap: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This morning we had Weruva Macaral and Skipjack.  (with raw lamb)  Callie and Darko liked it, Stinkpot and Sven didn't.  So Sven got his usual Fancy Feast, and while he was working on that, Stinkpot decided to eat the Mac/Jack that I had offered Sven
.  (luckily, I had taken the bowl with all his meds in it, sans food, and gave Sven his choice of foods before mixing with his meds, so what Stinkpot ate didn't have any meds in it.  hope that makes sense) 

Today we're going to the new Natural Cat Food place I mentioned earlier, and I'm going to see if they have that new Wysong dry that Carolina talked about.  I'll see about a small bag as my back/up and for Sven, since he's off kibble right now, maybe he needs a change.  He IS one who seems to tire of the same old kibble.  Then later this afternoon we'll do weigh-ins again.  (on the same scale, 'cause that's all we've got right now.) 

Oh!  and tonight we're having port tenderloin for dinner, so I'm going to cut some off for the babies.  Let's hope they like it.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap: For the Mack/Jack. Even Stinkpot went to eat up Sven's - after he refused his own. :lol3: What a stinker :lol2: :rub: I am glad you are having some luck with the NM Lamb too :D. Keep going :clap::clap: your doing great here! :happy3: I have also been thinking of trying the Wysong Epijen (sp.?) It would be great to have something like that when I have to go away. I am still trying to figure out how to get them fed by my pet sitter. Perkins and Perla hide when the pet sitter comes in to feed. So this dry might be something I would want to have on hand.

YUM YUM Pork Tenderloin..... How could they resist??!!! :bigwink: ;)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Got that Wysong epigen 90.  Sven likes it...he's back to nibbling on kibbles, thank goodness.  And, his weight is back up to 6lb from 5.5.  Thank you, Lord !

Everyone gained some weight back (except me).  I tried moving the Wii scales around to see if my weight changed, and it didn't.  Weird.  Oh well.  I'm going with what we have today, since everyone gained, thankfully.  (in just 2 days).

Didn't end up having the pork, because DH just didn't feel like eating, so we had Cream of Wheat.  I'll cut off some of the pork in the a.m. for the babies.  No one attempted to eat any of the chicken strips today, so I lightly cooked it and will offer it up tonight.  At lunch, I finely chopped some (raw) and stirred into their wet, but didn't see much evidence of it being eaten.  Still trying different things.  (maybe I should just stick to one thing for awhile!) 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got that Wysong epigen 90.  Sven likes it...he's back to nibbling on kibbles, thank goodness.  And, his weight is back up to 6lb from 5.5.  Thank you, Lord !

Everyone gained some weight back (except me).  I tried moving the Wii scales around to see if my weight changed, and it didn't.  Weird.  Oh well.  I'm going with what we have today, since everyone gained, thankfully.  (in just 2 days).

Didn't end up having the pork, because DH just didn't feel like eating, so we had Cream of Wheat.  I'll cut off some of the pork in the a.m. for the babies.  No one attempted to eat any of the chicken strips today, so I lightly cooked it and will offer it up tonight.  At lunch, I finely chopped some (raw) and stirred into their wet, but didn't see much evidence of it being eaten.  Still trying different things.  (maybe I should just stick to one thing for awhile!) 
:woohoo: On the Wysong Epigen :dance: I am SO glad that Sven likes it!!!!!!! That must make you feel SO good and that his weight is back up :D :clap::clap: I also found that sticking to ONE thing for a bit is working better for me. I found that the more I kept changing and trying new thing's, the more fussy they got. You just have to find out what works best for your kitties. It can really take a LONG time ......... and a lot of frustration on our part. But once you figure out what works for each cat - life is just RAWSOME and one big party.
!!!! At least for that moment.... :lol3: because we all know how quickly these kitties can change their minds :paranoid: :para2: Just keep truckin' - we are all in this together! Thank goodness for that, right !!?? :clap::clap::clap::clap:

p.s. I LOVE Cream of Wheat with brown sugar too :flail:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Guess  haven't updated for awhile
.  First, Laurie, thanks for asking about Sven.  He's still hanging in here, but yesterday I was sitting here playing a game and talking to him with tears flowing down my cheeks because I really think he's close to the end.  He went over to the litter box and stepped in with his front feet and proceeded to pee all over the rug.  But he's such a good boy that I couldn't scold him because he thought he was doing right (I mean, after all, he could feel litter under his feet!)  My poor old guy
.  But, on the other hand, yesterday morning when I was handing out treats, he actually came all the way downstairs and had them in the kitchen rather than wait for me to bring them to him upstairs.  Then he turned around and bunny hopped all the way back upstairs.  I think he is in quite a bit of pain, at least in manuevering the stairs.  And, I've been monitoring his breathing, and it's getting faster and faster, with some coughing on occasion, which we ALL know is not a good sign.  But with CRF, we are giving him fluids, and if it's his heart, which I suspect, the "fix" is Lasix, which is a diuretic, so that is not good.  To tell the truth, I've been afraid to take him in, because I'm afraid I won't bring him home and he is my very special kitty.  But, on the other hand, I don't want him to suffer, if he truly is, other than the occasional aches and pain that goes with old age.  But I have to steel myself and take him in on Monday, just because. 

Ok, enough self pity!  Back to Raw, which this thread is about.

Served up some small pieces of raw pork tenderloin the other day, and no one expressed any interest in it at all, not even with Fortiflora!  Also tried serving up some slightly cooked chicken breast, cut into teeny, tiny pieces, first plain, then sprinkled with WL, again, no interest.  Also tried mixing some teeny, tiny pieces into their wet food and they ate around them (how, I don't know, because they were really small)  Have been mixing NM lamb into their food and sometimes they eat it, sometimes not...depends on whether or not they like what's in the can
.  BTW, BFF is NOT a friend in this household.  The only one who likes any of the flavors so far is Sven.  Oh well.  At least the Weruva is a hit, except the pouches.  NO ONE likes them.  Figures, since I can't return them.  Guess somebodies ferals will be happy

Yesterday was a day off Raw because I wasn't going to be home last night for their meal and DH is clueless (and helpless), and I needed to thaw out a new patty, so figured I would just wait until today.  I forgot to get it out of the freezer for their bfast, so need to go down right now and see if anyone wants a snack of lambballs
...Ok, I'm back!  Callie ate 5 and Darko ate 4!
(with a little help from FortiFlora, but still)   Stinkpot didn't want any, and last time he's the one who polished them all off.  BUT, right after I finished cleaning up just now, I turned around and there was a nice fresh hariball on the floor, and there were no lambballs in it, so think it was Stinkpot's.  No wonder he didn't want any treats
.  And Sven acted like he was going to be sick if I didn't get it out of his face.  So I quickly got it out of his face

Thanks for listening to my sob story.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sally! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Does he have arthritis? I assume he can't take pain meds because of the CRF? What about acupuncture? And there's a problem with Lasix and CRF? (I don't know anything about CRF). :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: From everything you describe, it sure doesn't sound like Sven thinks he's ready to go. But I'm not there and can't see. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

BUT... I'm really glad to hear about Callie and Darko eating the lamb balls! :clap: :clap: :clap: