Off to Europe on Friday

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe how fast it's come around - it still seems kind of surreal. DH has a conference in Prague for a week, then will be working from the Zurich office for a week. I'm going along to do some sightseeing, and feel completely unorganised.

I haven't thought about packing, I haven't figured out what I want to see and what there IS to see, I haven't got any guide books, and I haven't even organised how we're going to get to the airport and when we need to be there...

DH booked it all since he had to do the flights, accommodation and car hire and then expense it through work, so I've had nothing to do with anything which is part of it. And being a month out from exams with 2 assignments due in the next 3 weeks (one worth 60%, one worth 45%) has kept me incredibly occupied! I imagine I'll get excited once we're at the airport!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barnes and Noble has a pretty good travel guide section and there should be some good books for you. Sounds like a great trip-have a good time!!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to hear your experiences in Prague when you get back! We might be going there in a year or two since Rob's background is Czech/Slovak. Neither of us have been there before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm most looking forward to Prague - from what I hear, the architecture is gorgeous! I'll have plenty of pics, don't worry

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oooo have fun!

Too bad you're not going to Germany, cuz then I'd have a few pointers/ideas for you... although it's been about 8 years since I've been there... don't forget an electric converter too for all your plug-in stuff! The one I have has like a base unit and then interchangeable attachments for different countries... I used it in Germany and Austria and then my dad used it in Italy.... um, camera/memory cards/batteries.... and make sure you pack an outfit and extra undies in your carry-on (plus small toiletries - within airline guidelines) just in case your luggage arrives later than you do haha - this happened to us when we got to Munich and we had to wait like 14 hours to get our luggage... but that was after traveling for a full day and we all felt icky, so I was glad to have extras in my carry on

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Linda - that's gorgeous!!!!! I'm so excited to have a good camera to try and get some pics and learn about composition.

And buzby, we're "foreigners" we have all sorts of adapters for many countries!
We'll be taking phones, laptops, camera charger and all sorts of random things

We'll also be transiting through the new terminal 5 at Heathrow which I hear is still a mess, so will definitely have a change of clothes and some basic toiletries with me (that I am allowed to take on a plane...).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

have fun!!!!! take lots of pics to share.

who is taking care of the cats?
We have a housesitter - the daughter of another lady I volunteer with at the shelter. She's 25 and works at the local hospital and loves cats

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Can you just pack me away in your luggage?
Sure!! Come on over!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for your info, you can take up to a litre of toiletries, as long as none of the products exceed 100ml.

Heathrow has very strict guidelines, make sure you have a big enough bag to shove everything in. Over here in Frankfurt airport you can get away with 2 or 3 bags as carry ons, but over in Heathrow its not.

Also as far as i know Frankfurt and most airports in America you need to take your laptop out of the bag, where as heathrow doesnt so you can save time

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Prague is a lovely city.
The only negative thing I have to say is that speaking a foreign language other than English seemed to equal potential shoplifter in many places.
Also, in one shop the whole staff tried to hide from me behind the shelves, apparently because they were afraid of speaking English. I had to chase them around.

Have a great trip!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Just for your info, you can take up to a litre of toiletries, as long as none of the products exceed 100ml.

Heathrow has very strict guidelines, make sure you have a big enough bag to shove everything in. Over here in Frankfurt airport you can get away with 2 or 3 bags as carry ons, but over in Heathrow its not.

Also as far as i know Frankfurt and most airports in America you need to take your laptop out of the bag, where as heathrow doesnt so you can save time
Even flying domestically in the US you need to take your laptop out, belts off, shoes off! I'll just have my laptop bag with some study stuff, a change of shirt and underwear, toothbrush and a mini toothpaste. I won't need anything else.

Thanks for the info Ryn - I'll make sure I have my running shoes on

Woohoo 2 days to go!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're going to LOVE Prague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been too long since I was there for me to remember any place you must go. (My friend lived there when she had her baby, so I flew over to be with her for a month). I'm sure it's changed a lot since then anyway - that would have been the mid-80s.

Anyway - have a FANTASTIC time and a safe flight!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you could use a break about now!

Laurie