odorless, clear liquid?

emilydickinson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This evening I got a scratching post off of freecycle. Emily was very confused by it. I'm assuming it smelled of the cat that used to use it. But then, she started rubbing her face all over it. At some point we noticed a pool of liquid on the floor by the scratching post. We were terrified she peed on it, but it didnt smell like pee. Was it her facial phermermone?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
hope you made sure the scratching post didn't come from a cat that had a contageous disease - like Leukemia

(personally - I won't use a toy or ? unless I know the cat that once used it was healthy, or I can sanitize it before giving it to my cat)

as far as the fluid - someone else would probably know better - I know when my cat(s) purr heavily that they do produce extra saliva

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

(personally - I won't use a toy or ? unless I know the cat that once used it was healthy, or I can sanitize it before giving it to my cat)
FIV/FeLv aren't that much of a risk. Ringworm would be though! I'm sure there's a few other viruses and bacteria (like chlamydia) that you wouldn't want to bring in, either. I'm paranoid about that, too, though.

My guess is that it was saliva, too. She must have gotten worked up marking and drooled a bit.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps vomit on an empty stomach ?
I've never heard of a puddle of saliva unless the cat had a seizure or a severe bout of mouth pain, maybe.

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember when we had Miximax still with us he would drool---a lot!! This would occur whenever we got him a new toy--he would just be purring and bunting his head on us--talk about getting a shower--

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey drools often when he is very happy. Always has. Its not bad until he shakes his head and slings spit everywhere