odor control tips for apartment

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've found that a combo of corn cob litter and a plug-in air filter works wonders. I keep my cat's litterbox in the washer/dryer closet and keep it directly below the air filter. Never smell a thing.

The air filter I got from Target in a 2-pack for $14.99. I gave the other one to my friend to put over her litterbox.

Flushable litter means you don't stockpile smelly used litter at any time. Just flush the clumps daily.

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went as far to buy one of those fancy hooded litter boxes osiris is finally starting to use the litter box yea! He will still try to sneak off for a private poo in the corner if i dont watch constantly; and for that tidy cat not to be gross but i wouldnt bury my poo in it Nyzki

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

But you advocate Iams?
Yup, it's only JUST come into our Supermarkets this year - one very high quality supermarket btw and we only have about five of these in NZ, it is also VERY VERY expensive more like $25 a kg compared to $2.50 or such for Purina.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of two

Your cats are beautiful. Thanks for the tip. I couldn't get through to the vet's office today, so I went ahead and ordered Iams dry food. Maybe I'll smell an improvement!
Thank you!!

Let us know what happens.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 indoor cats and people keep telling me that they'd never guess I had one from the way the house smells. I use Scoop away mixed into about an inch of baking soda(covering the entire bottom of the litterbox), and clean it every night (or other night, it tends to fluctuate a bit), and spray apet-odor remover into the air and furniture every few nights (non enzyme, so it costs about 2 dollars/can and lasts a while). Each time I clean the box, i pour in a bit more litter and stir the baking soda into it with the scooper.

the kittens are on purina kitten chow and split a can of wet food every 12 hours, and the adults are on iams and a tbsp of wet food once every 24 hours. (the best the stores around here have to offer. i'm trying to get them on better chows)

I hope this helps you somehow.

aloha420wsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an apartment and have two cats. I keep their litterbox in the bathroom. I scoop it frequently and I can't get the 'cat' smell to go away. I use a lot of baking soda in their box, burn candles, spray air-freshener and am running out of ideas. Would people please share their ideas with me?
I have a kitten and 2 rabbits in a studio apartment and it doesn't smell at all. We've been using wood stove pellets for the rabbits for 6 months, so when we got the kitten thats all we had for litter. At first i just put in the pellets but that wouldn't cover the poo very well, so i tried moistening the pellets to turn them into sawdust then putting it in the box. It works sooo well. I also put baking soda in the box on the bottom.
My friend gave me one of those plugin air fresheners when we took the cat, but i dont think that makes much of a difference.

...and i feed Bella purina one kitten formula.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aloha420wsm

I have a kitten and 2 rabbits in a studio apartment and it doesn't smell at all. We've been using wood stove pellets for the rabbits for 6 months, so when we got the kitten thats all we had for litter. At first i just put in the pellets but that wouldn't cover the poo very well, so i tried moistening the pellets to turn them into sawdust then putting it in the box. It works sooo well. I also put baking soda in the box on the bottom.
My friend gave me one of those plugin air fresheners when we took the cat, but i dont think that makes much of a difference.

...and i feed Bella purina one kitten formula.
That's a really good idea. They actually make a litter that's the same thing...cedar pellets. They do a GREAT job of absorbing odor & breaking down to sawdust that's not disgusting to get rid of. That reminds me...we were thinking of switching our babes over to that!

Took a look at your pics...your bunnies have such personality!! They're adorable...as is your little kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of two

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Thank you!!

Let us know what happens.
I'm still laughing at "Meow Means Now." About controlling the odor from the litterbox, I've noticed a bit of an improvement and am expecting things to get much better. Putting that swinging door back on the litterbox was a huge plus.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of two

I'm still laughing at "Meow Means Now." About controlling the odor from the litterbox, I've noticed a bit of an improvement and am expecting things to get much better. Putting that swinging door back on the litterbox was a huge plus.
That's really good to hear.

Haha it's true though isn't it. I've had the magnet that says it on my fridge for a few years

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of two

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

Anyway, sounds like you are already trying so the two big parameters are the food and the cat litter.

Out of about a dozen premium brands, quite a few made Nano's litterbox deposits (hey, I like that phrase!) smell not-so-nice. I am not going to give foolhardy lectures or universally swear by certain brands, but sometimes just a bit of trial and error will produce some noticeable results. Depends on how much time you want to put into it.

As for litter, well...I haven't found a single brand that I can point to and say "this one does everything perfectly!" so you have to think of it in terms of trade-offs. The flushable stuff is convenient but not as good at covering smells. I found Arm & Hammer (clumping) to be good at masking odors until it comes time for me to scoop -- then barf! Tidy Cat (clumping) was not so wonderful at masking odors under regular conditions but was less troublesome when it came time for me to bend down to scoop.

Sorry to sound wishy-washy, but by picking a convenient flushable product you tend to sacrifice some daily odor protection. You might want to review the convenience versus the value of having a better smelling apartment. Failing that, the Glade Plugins automatically pump out a fresh scent so that could be an option if you really value convenience.
I'm going to switch to nonflushable in the hopes it covers odor better. I just finished scooping and the smell of urine near the litterbox was awful.

The type I'm using now as emergency backup is nonclumping, nonflushable. And so dusty!

I ordered a storage container from Petsmart based on a recommendation from one of the other threads. I think it was Coaster/Tim who suggested it. I had been leaning toward the litter locker but didn't want to have to keep buying special bags for it. So, I'm going to try Tim's idea.

My birthday is coming up. I've asked for baking soda and scented candles!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a one bedroom condo and know exactly what you mean! Food has a lot to do with it. I feed mine IAMS dry and once a day they get each a tablespoon of wet Nutro canned. When I was giving them IAMS and friskies or purina, their poop smelled to high heaven!!

Litter makes a big difference too. I've tried Arm and Hammer and it didn't control smell at all. But others have had good luck with it. I haven't had much luck with Tidy cats scoopable either. However, I do like Tidy cats crystals. I also have very little smell using Fresh Steps scoopable. But you know, everyone has had good luck with different types of litter so I have to wonder how much has to do with the cats body chemistry. Like how purfume smells differently on different people.
Covered boxes also help. And scooping the boxes out daily.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I feel your pain... Oliver and I live in a studio apartment
.... his potty box is in the utility closet next to the bathroom and i scoop at least once a day - they only time I have a huge problem with litter and poopy smell is when it gets really humid... I feed him Meow Mix, dry kibble and use non-flushable litter from Sam's Club (I'm a college student on a limited budget - he's never had a problem with Meow Mix and the 40 pounds of litter only costs $8, comes in an airtight plastic bucket, and works quite well!). I also bought a mesh bag of volcanic rock sold in the pet section of walmart and that definitely helps to remove the odor - I occasionally spray some oust air freshener as well... I'm thinking of investing in a covered box to attempt to cut down on the occasional smelliness however... I just hope Oliver uses it because he gets quite picky about things like toys and beds (he'll eat just about anything though!) I'm hoping he doesn't turn his nose up at it and start "going" elsewhere... he's never not used his box - I believe my kittysitter uses a covered box when he's there, so I'll ask her...

I hope your odor problem is fixed soon - I know how embaressed it can make you feel!