Odette --- Inside or Outside?

bunzella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I volunteer with a group that feeds a network of feral cat colonies, and for the last two years have also maintained a feeding station on my back deck.  I live in a fairly nice neighborhood where most people take good care of their cats, but there always seem to be a few strays or actual ferals around.

The one cat who has been coming to the back deck food, winter and summer, for the whole two years is a brown tabby female, who is missing one ear and who I call Odette (can't remember were the name came from).   At first I believed she was feral --- she was very shy and watchful, would always wait for five or ten minutes after I went back in the house to come and eat.  Even then, she would eat for ten seconds, then snap her head up and scan the yard for danger, eat for a few seconds, then scan again.  The one thing that made me suspect she might have once been tame was that in all that time, she never seemed to come into heat or be visibly pregnant, so I wondered if she might have been spayed.

Last spring, she disappeared for almost a month and I was sad, thinking something had happened to her.  When she showed up again, she seemed different, braver than before.    At first, she just came to eat faster after I put the food out, then she would come when I was still there as long as I made no move towards her.  This got my attention because in the previous year and a half of her coming for food, her demeanor towards me had not changed at all.

Over the summer, this has very very gradually progressed to her letting me get closer, then touch her briefly, then scratch her chin with one finger, then stroke the whole length of her body.  Now when I come home in the evening, she runs down the walk to meet me, and stands up on her hind legs, asking for a head rub.  When I put the food down, she won't start eating until she gets some pets first.

That said, she will still back away quickly if I reach toward her with both hands at once and she will absolutely not tolerate being picked up.  I've tried leaving the door of the house open but she shows no interest at all in going inside or even curiosity about it.

Here is my dilemma: it's already beginning to get cold here, and I live in Saskatchewan, where winter temperatures of 30 below and colder are not uncommon.  I hate to think of her living outside in those temperatures, even with good food and shelter  (and knowing she has survived at least two winters outside already), but I also don't want to imprison her inside against her will.  Other well-meaning people in the feral cat group have attempted to take in semi-feral cats in the past, and it often does not turn out well --- one lady had a cat hiding in various places in her house for almost two years; the food disappeared and the litter was used, but she never saw the cat and was never able to develop any relationship with it.  Finally she trapped it and took it back to the feral colony where it had been living (I still see it there sometimes on the feeding route).

I guess I should mention I also have five inside cats, who may or may not be welcoming to her.  They have sniffed noses through the screen door, but it could be a whole different story if she ended up on their turf.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone tried something like this and had it turn out well?   My head hurts from thinking about this and I would really welcome some other perspectives!   THANKS IN ADVANCE ---

Pat

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyway you could set up a shelter for her on the patio?  It would solve the problem of keeping her warm and slowly introduce her to staying near (then maybe inside) your house.

A lot of times with ferals or strays, you can really only experiment with bringing them inside.  Some adapt, so don't.  If you bring her and it doesn't work out, she's no worse off than before.

That said, she's obviously survived a couple of winters, so she has found shelter on her own.  As long as you provide good food, she should be OK.

Thank you for helping her and all the others!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are really nice inexpensive shelters you can build with rubbermaid containers.  You can also you microwave heat discs that stay warm for 8-10 hours depending on the cold.  Then if you have an electric source you could buy outdoor heat pads.  I use the electric heat pads and my outdoor ferals love them. 

If you are handy you can build a nice shelter too.  There are tons of ideas on the internet.  My DH built a Feral Villa.  Yet my boys didn't like the confined space.  Some cats love small cozy spaces and some do not.  I was heartbroken when DH spent so much time building the shelter and the cats wouldn't use it.  I now use it to put some dry food in during the winter months.  I have it up on a tall table to keep the raccoons out, but the cats can jump inside.  It also works well when I need to be away and I can put extra food inside.  So I guess it wasn't a complete loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunzella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the responses!  

I do have some shelter boxes set up under the deck (that area is completely enclosed by plywood skirting, with a hatch door on one side that is always propped open).  There is also a wire dog crate under there which is wrapped in Reflectix insulation (that silver stuff that is supposed to reflect heat inwards) and which has an electric dog bed inside.  Odette did sleep under there on some of the coldest nights last winter, but mostly she seemed to be living under the deck of my next-door neighbor (these are nice people who like cats but have a dog and couldn't remember ever seeing her in their yard when I described her to them).  She always enters my yard through the fence that runs next to their deck, and since she often shows up in my yard within a few minutes of me opening the door or putting food out, I think she must live somewhere close enough to hear what is going on in my yard.

It's good to hear that other people think I may not be such an ogre for leaving her outside --- it seems to me that, at least for the moment, that would be her choice.  I would love her to be inside with me some day, but only if she is happy with that arrangement, too.  She really does not seem to be taking any harm from being outside right now; her coat is beautiful and thick, and she is if anything a bit rounder that she needs to be, though that will be good insulation for when it gets colder.

Since we've been talking about shelter boxes, I thought I would mention the ones used most by the feral cat group I volunteer for.  These are styrofoam boxes, about 2 feet by 18 inches by 18 inches.   The styrofoam walls are about 3 inches thick (pretty good insulation) with a good two-cat sized cavity inside.  The boxes are used by a local trucking company for delivering temperature-controlled drugs to local pharmacies, but they only use them a couple of times and then discard them.  Now they pass them on to us --- we cut an entrance hole in one side and put donated pillows inside.  They are light to move, very cheap to make up and by and large the cats love them.   If they are in a sheltered spot, they last for years, though in spring and fall someone pries the lids off to check inside and replace the pillows if they are too grungy.  

We do have some more elaborate wooden shelters in places where we know the cats can stay more or less permanently, but many of our feeding stations/shelters are on rental properties in the inner city where one tenant or landlord may give us permission to feed, but the next one may demand we move it on short notice, so light and cheap makes a lot of sense in those circumstances.

Thanks again for the input --- really enjoying all the discussions on feral cat issues ---

Pat