Odd swelling after neutering

alishadt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My 4-month-old kitten was neutered a little over a week ago. His incision area was super messy after he got home, but he cleaned himself up and has been acting happy and energetic ever since.

The only thing is, he’s got an odd protrusion in that area, and I’m not sure whether to just give it more time to go away, or if I should be concerned. He doesn’t act bothered by it.
I wasn’t given much in the way of instructions after the surgery, and it’s been a long time since we’ve had a cat go through this procedure.
I’ll attach a photo.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alishadt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet is pretty rural, I actually don’t know if they do email or texting. I can call and ask to bring the cat back in, it’s just that they always seem so booked up that I was hoping it might not be any serious problem.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call them and ask if you are able to accept a text or email . It may he nothing but in your position I would want to have it checked.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree - at least call the vet and see if they can receive email/txt pics. Maybe, just maybe, if they do, they will get you in for a checkup faster. Also, take daily pics to see if that protrusion is growing in size, and record any other changes in his behavior, as applicable.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he’s got an odd protrusion in that area,
I can call and ask to bring the cat back in,
I don't think that's a protrusion, that is literally torn away and I believe I'm seeing flesh underneath where the flap should be covering. I'd just go, walk in with him and tell them he needs to be seen right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alishadt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your insight. I was able to get my kitten into the vet this morning, and now they are doing a procedure to push that tissue back inside. I'll pick him up in a few hours. I don't know if the vet had seen this happen before, but the technicians who initially looked at him certainly hadn't. My poor little guy! I had noticed even a few hours after his neutering that he had a very tiny fleshy bit sticking out, I'm wondering if he pulled at it and made it worse.