odd meowing

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
at night i put my kittens sugar and marvin [marvin's about 3.5 months old and sugar's a couple weeks younger] in a seperate room and keep them in there because they get into stuff otherwise. it has bedding, toys, food water, litterbox. i've been doing it since they've been old enough to be on their own in the room and there's never been a problem.

tonight when i put them in there and i picked marvin up to put him on his bed he starting whining meowing and i thought maybe something was wrong/he was hurt. he tried to jump down and get out the door then.

so i took him into the kitchen and set him down and picked him up and nothing. i felt around his stomach/chest and he didn't make a noise or anything and then when i took him back to the kitty room he did it again. now he's back there scratching at the door and whining.

sugar acts fine and he's never acted like this before. he whined the other night so we checked out the bathroom and there's nothing different in there so i'm not sure why he's behaving this way. i would let them run loose at night but he gets into everything he can find. up on the kitchen counters/table, computer desk everything.

any ideas on why he is not wanting to be in their room now?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that something happened to him while he was in the room? Like getting a claw stuck in the carpet, his sister terrorizing him, etc.? From your description it sounds like he could be fearful of the room. Or it could simply be he's learned that that room means he will be locked in for the night, and he's trying to tell you he doesn't like it!

I don't have a destructive kitty, so she gets to go wherever she wants to at night (usually either her or my bed), but I can understand you not wanting your little ones to roam while you're sleeping.

Any chance he can be in your room with you at night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitley keep them in my room at night but there is too much stuff that he could get into and I don't want to take any chances of my babies get hurt etc. Once they are older and know better than to get into things [when my other boys got a bit older than they are, and were neutered they calmed down], we'll leave them out instead of locking them in the bathroom.

He stopped whining about 5 minutes after he was in there so I'm assuming it was just that doesn't want to locked in there?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably just that it's more fun not being locked in overnight, he'd rather stay out. Try a good play session, followed by a tasty meal before putting them into their "bedroom"