Odd Habit

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has a strange - I don't know what to call it - ritual? I've had cats all of my life and have never had another cat do this. He is 8, and has done this thing since he was a kitten. It's not super important that I know why he does this, but I would love it if someone could give me a solid theory or reason.

So the thing. He likes to pick up ribbons (or anything resembling a ribbon) and carry it around with him, yowling loudly. He will drag it all over the house, and makes it a point to show it to me when he does. Then if he finds a blanket or spot that he is particularly fond of, he'll walk over the blanket and do this weird vibrating butt thing (I'm sure that's not the scientific term for the thing). He'll squat like he's going to poop, and his hind end vibrates. He does not actually poop or spray. He'll do this ad nauseam unless someone breaks him out of the trance. And if he is interrupted, he usually gets aggressive with whomever does the interrupting. He won't bite me if I take the ribbon, but will meow loudly and charge towards me. If my other cat or even my 113 lb dog walks by when he's doing this, he'll tackle/attack them.

When he's not in "Ribbon Mode" was we so lovingly refer to it, he isn't aggressive towards the other animals at all. My cats get along wonderfully, and the dog fits in with them too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he kneading up and down with his paws on the blanket? My boy cat does that too. Is he sucking on the ribbon? My cat sucks on the blanket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not kneading or sucking. It's so weird, and I wish I could explain what it is he does better, Lol! He just walks on the blanket with his butt tucked underneath him and then vibrates his tail/hind end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he humping the blanket? My cat does that too.
Maybe? I didn't think of it that way, but maybe he is humping. And lawd, I just realized that he's done his weird ritual thing on me before. Has my cat been humping me all this time and I had no idea? :lol2:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I agree with Alejandra Rico . Kitty is a show off . His hunting instinct gets going and the ribbon is the prey. He shows you his success then does a little dance to celebrate .
He may be a frustrated when anything interrupts his kitty séance ! ``:winkcat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, Ha. My cat tries to do that on me too and I kind of try to push him to the side.