Odd Behavior: Perfect In One Room, Skittish In All Others

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently took in a stray. Had been feeding her for about 9 months, named her "Shyness" because of how skittish she initially was.

Fast forward to today, we kept her in the bathroom for two weeks for her to adjust and for our other cat to adjust to her presence. From day 1, inside that bathroom she is the most insanely affectionate cat I've ever seen. Love to be picked up, purrs like mad, rolls on her back and wants her chest rubbed, kneads the sky while you do so...

No she has full roam of the house. If you ever happen upon her in the bathroom, same as ever. Every other inch of the house, super skittish/ afraid/ won't let you approach, etc. Just a night and day difference in personality. She's had full roaming rights for more than a month now. Her and original cat (Jack) get along fine.

Thoughts? How do I get her to "be herself" in all parts of the house? Anyone have a similar situation with other cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! --awww, poor baby...
Can you get a calming diffuser or two for the other areas? Thunderease and sentry have some in addition to others...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not uncommon. It seems that cats don't learn to trust their people all at once. They learn you are trustworthy in one spot (like the bathroom in your case) and safe to get pets from there. Outside that room, they hear the vacuum, they hear you clacking with the dishes, etc etc and they aren't sure that your safe. I also think that habit/rituals are a part of the explanation -- the habit/ritual is in the bathroom.

My strategy for you to speed things up is to try to bridge the gap between the bathroom and another spot like the couch. Do this: at a time the cat isn't in the bathroom, make a call noise and get the treat bag. Go into the bathroom, repeat the call noise, shake the treat bag and tap your hand on the spot on the bed where kitty likes to get petted. Do that a few times over a few days and then try to use those cues to summon kitty to the new spot your targetting (like a bedroom or a couch in the living room). The bedroom may be the best choice for the first expansion, since it will likely not be associated with the noise/bustle that a living room might.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently took in a stray. ...
Fast forward to today, we kept her in the bathroom for two weeks for her to adjust and for our other cat to adjust to her presence. From day 1, inside that bathroom she is the most insanely affectionate cat I've ever seen. Love to be picked up, purrs like mad, rolls on her back and wants her chest rubbed, kneads the sky while you do so...

No she has full roam of the house....
May I submit that I think it is in bathrooms that a cat can smell the smells of their human(s) best... clean bathrooms, dirty bathrooms, it doesn't matter... your cat can smell lots of odors that humans may or may not pay attention to.

So, if your cat is super affectionate in the bathroom, one reason could be because she is happy with the humans' smells in there. It may not be the only reason, but maybe she has become acclimated to the environment of the bathroom, and loves it. The bathroom makes her feel safe(r).

It's not uncommon for our own cat to maniacally roll about on the bathmat just after one of us has stepped out of the shower and dried off. My cat also loves the towel I use after I wash my hair... and if you give her a catnip toy PLUS my hair towel, and it's sheer heaven. lol. Sometimes she just hangs out by herself in the bathroom, grooming and dozing.

Even though a month seems like a long time for your new cat to get used to the place, remember that the rest of the house might smell more intensely of your other cat. It's all mixed up with your smells. Maybe you could place a trail of worn t-shirts and bathroom towels strategically leading out of the bathroom, and slowly widen her horizons of "good smells" in the house?

Also, does she have her own hidey places spread throughout your house as she widens her horizons and moves away from the bathroom? She'll need her own cardboard boxes and rest stops under strategic chairs and beds as she gets more confident.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might try the diffuser for a bit - thanks for that suggestion.

Per the last poster, yes, she has a few safe spots she can go to. As is she's not completely anti-social; she likes to be in the room with everyone else, just doesn't let you approach her or pet her. I wouldn't think anything of it if she weren't so night and day different in the bathroom, where's she a rolling, purring little lap cat who will sit with you for as long as you'll let her.