Odd attraction to bags...

toki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My six month old kitties are totally attracted to bags.
It's so weird, reuseable bags, plastic bags and paper bags. As soon as I come home from the grocery store they can't wait to lie inside/on top of them.
Anyone have ideas why?

thanks!

steffianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No idea why but my little guy has always had a thing for bags as well. Loves to get inside and hide. When he was littler my partner would wait until he got into this one bag and would hang him on a doorknob and he would sleep in his little hammock =)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Toki

My six month old kitties are totally attracted to bags.
It's so weird, reuseable bags, plastic bags and paper bags. As soon as I come home from the grocery store they can't wait to lie inside/on top of them.
Anyone have ideas why?

thanks!
...but do put all plastic bags out of reach, they're really dangerous (heads get caught in the handles or kitties like to try to eat them) and cut handles on any other bags... and then let the fun begin, because bags are often more fun than boxes - and I'm pretty sure cats come genetically programmed to love both.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats *love* to play inside paper bags, especially pouncing !! Maybe it's the crinkly sound they make, who knows!

But I do know that plastic bags contain a chemical or pheromone that cats love!!! Hence why they will lie, roll around and play on them.
Silly babies!!

As long they don't eat them or get caught in them it's ok!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say that's very, very normal.

Polly can't get enough of bags.
I think kitties like that they can be hidey-holes, toys, they like how it sounds and they're overall fun, fun, fun!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get your kitties a crinkle tube and/or a crinkle cave - much safer than bags.
Crinkle balls and the cheaper mylar balls are really attractive to cats that love crinkly things, too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls LOVE bags, especially the big plastic ones! I cut the handles on them and let them play to their hearts' content. They lay on them, dart under them, get inside them and "hide", pounce on each other in them. It provides hours of cheap entertainment!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who is in love with plastic bags. If you bring a bag home and set it down, Mr Grey immediately will climb in! He doesn't even care if you pick the bag up with him in it (I did that once or twice hoping it would discourage him). I always empty all bags right away and throw them away or put them in a drawer so he can't reach them.

Today someone took a pack of paper towel rolls out of the package they come in (plastic wrapping/bag) and put it on the floor for a minute... I looked down and there was Mr. Grey with his head and front feet inside!
I took him out and reminded them not to ever leave any plastic bags out!

I also try make sure that no bags or totes with handles/loops are left out, especially paper bags... My family members would bring some groceries in one of those paper bags with the twisted rope-looking handles and once one of the cats climbed inside and then tried to climb out by sticking his head through a handle and got twisted up in it so I had to extricate him. Not safe! So now I either throw them out right away or I cut the handles off.

I have two of those cat tubes, but they don't like those half as much as a paper bag.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I have two of those cat tubes, but they don't like those half as much as a paper bag.
Paper bags are mostly safe. The problem with plastic bags is that many cats love to eat them. No amount of entertainment is worth surgery to remove an obstruction.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Paper bags are mostly safe. The problem with plastic bags is that many cats love to eat them. No amount of entertainment is worth surgery to remove an obstruction.
Mine never tried to eat the bags. The one likes to climb into them to sleep though which is bad enough!

sehrita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All four of my adult (baby) cats love bags. I don't let them play with the plastic because I noticed that they like to chew on them. I do let them play with the paper bags. I think they love them so much because of the crinkly sound. I also notice that they love playing with tissue paper used for presents.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is obsessed with bags
! She has to inspect every bag that enters the home, and she has this crazy trick where she loves to thread herself through the handles! I never let her do it out of my sight, but she will thread her head through the handle and walk around with it looped like a cape or a parachute!
Always important to keep an eye on them when they are playing with a bag and to not leave temptation out in the open.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are afraid of bags. Especially the plastic ones, they run when you ball them up as they hate the sound. They hate sound when you move plastic bags.. or just about anything with a plastic bag.

Paper bags aren't so bad if you cut off the handles they will investigate but its nothing like other cats. They definitely will not play with any bags.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I have one that's extremely afraid of plastic bag sounds, too.
It doesn't help that Tomas loves to wait till Sho is near the crinkle tube then race through it and scare Sho.

lizi59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My four LOVE boxes. They will take turns getting in it - I still haven't figured out how they decide who goes first, who goes next, etc. It's different every time.

A really fun thing to do is after the box has been checked out by each cat, move it to another part of the same room. The ritual starts again!

I sometimes wonder if kitties find us as amusing as we find them

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the answer to a problem that has me perplex. Kato has taken to licking the laundry bag and the zipper portion of the needle bag, I received. For awhile I thought the laundry bag attraction as it is one of the few things we keep from the motor home. There must be pheromone on both that he likes. Thanks for the help.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Maia is obsessed with bags
! She has to inspect every bag that enters the home, and she has this crazy trick where she loves to thread herself through the handles! I never let her do it out of my sight, but she will thread her head through the handle and walk around with it looped like a cape or a parachute!
Mine do that too, with plastic or paper bags with handles. I don't leave plastic bags out but Spot almost killed himself once when he got his head stuck in a paper bag handle (the type of handle made of twisted paper) and apparently twisted it up around his neck when he tried to get it off. Luckily I saw him and got him out, and since then whenever someone brings a paper bag home with a handle I always cut the handle in half just in case.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taylor (my senior CH kitty) will paw at plastic shopping bags for HOURS. Literally, it gets to the point where I have to yell at her or push her away with my foot or hand (depending if I'm on the couch or not lol). Sorry, I've got absolutely no advice for you except to try and keep them all out of your ktties way.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the best kitty fun try puttnig out a paper shopping bag and toss a catnip mouse or a ball inside.

Aya recently tied to burn my apartment down so we're off the bags until its warm enough to stop using the space heater.