OCD Cat?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that it's a problem, but I wonder if any of you have cats that have an excavating fetish?

One of mine does his business, then covers it up. He then keeps scratching the rug, the floor, the wall, the cabinet behind the box. After that he goes to the other box and digs, than scratches the whole area. Sometimes he'll dig in the box even though he doesn't have to go. Doesn't do this all the time, but he digs like this irregularly at any time of the day or night. He's always been this way. Never had a cat like that. Is there something I'm not picking up on? Maybe the box isn't to his liking?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he has always done this, it is probably just 'his way'. Perhaps, he doesn't like the smell of his own poop, so he is continually trying to get rid of the smell, even if it means going to the other box to try to better cover up previous remnants. Or it might not be the box as much as it is the litter? Maybe the litter is retaining the smell too much?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cats don’t but have ones in the past that did. Either they had to dig multiple holes before they could go or afterwards they had to scratch forever inside and outside the box to make extra extra sure everything is covered. This was actually preferably to the ones that never covered anything.