Obsessive self-grooming... can it be licked?

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a problem with Sophie, one of our cats. Over the past month, we've noticed that the fur on her tail and hind legs has been slowly fading away. Our once beautiful, fluffy calico now looks like a chemotherapy patient. The fur inside her hind legs looks shaved clean, and in a couple of places, I can see her skin.

I began to notice this obsessive grooming behavior about a month ago. Until then, she seemed like a totally normal, well-adjusted kitty. In fact, of the three, she always appeared to be the most easy-going and self-confident-- full of that "cattitude" that calicos are so famous (or is it infamous?) for.

I've taken her to the vet twice to rule out any physical reason for the compulsive licking. The first time, the vet did find a slight case of cystitis, which we treated, and evidence of fleas, which we've also treated. (Although she's still scratching, so maybe they're not really gone?) The doctor also recommended using Bach's Rescue Remedy. I can't really tell that it's working, but I keep buying it. We've also tried Feliway, with the electric diffuser, although I suspect we didn't have enough units for it to be truly effective.

We did experience a change in our household harmony, recently. One of our cats, Lily, began to bully our other cat, Shai. So, for the past 3 months, Shai has been living in our office/second bedroom behind a closed door. Now, Sophie is forced to spend more time with Lily. That could be a problem, too.

I've done a little research on excessive grooming, and here's what I've learned:

1) Cats will lick if an area of their body is itchy or painful (like from fleas or an allergy)
2) Cats will lick if they're stressed
3) Licking helps regulates a cat's body temperature in hot or cold weather.

Well, our cats are indoor kitties, so I guess I can rule out reason #3. But my frustration is that the cause could be either of the first 2 reasons--or both. How do I know? Should I ask the vet to take more tests?

Looking over the blog posts, it seems like other kitties have this problem, too, but I see more guesses than success stories. Do you have any experience stopping this behavior? If so, I'd love to hear your stories and get your advice. Thanks!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 4th reason. Has Sophie been thru any surgery? My QT was a victim of a botched surgery involving a leg fracture. She would lick the fur off her leg for years and be in a bad mood. It was stopped when I went to another vet who fixed the problem. QT is okay now.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jennie does this. She has a triangle area over her spay incision that she licks and licks and the hair is kept so short to be almost non existent. It's her Pink Triangle, since the pink skin shows through all the time.

Rarely does it go to sores, but I keep an eye on her and when I do see signs of bare skin and red spots I have an ointment called Animax prescribed by my vet.

I use the Animax for ten days, the licking stops, and the fur starts to grow in all soft and white and nice again. Sometimes my hope rises as I see the fur grow and grow to almost normal length, but then one morning I will wake up and check her and the Pink Triangle will be back.

Feliway plug in diffusers have no effect on this with Jennie. I love Feliway and use it for stressful situations, but it makes no difference with Jennie's Pink Triangle.

Jennie is #2 cat in a house of four cats, and happy to be at that rank. Her only stress really is that she is always hungry.

Her appetite is never ever satiated and I know that must cause her some stress, I feel so bad for her. I feed her as much as I can and still keep her at a healthy weight.

I know some cats will lick until they get terrible sores and infections, and in these cases behavior modification medication is usually used.

Amitriptyline is often prescribed for this kind of issue. The medication is started at a low dose, and increased if needed. Once the behavior has stopped for a while, a weaning off is done, to see if the habit has been broken.

Amitriptyline does cause sedation.

If the licking started around the time of the behavior changes of the other cats, that may be the impetus.

Welcome to TCS. Please keep us updated on Sophie. Also please feel free to start a thread about your other kitty and her sudden aggression issues.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider the litter you are using!

I've had 5 cats exhibit this behavior and every last one of them was allergic to the litter. It took me forever and alot of money to figure this out.

What brand and type of litter are you using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your interest in my little Sophie! She hasn't had surgery lately--but what an interesting observation on her hair loss. BTW I'm new to TCS... do you have to be a premium member to post pictures?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I've had 5 cats exhibit this behavior and every last one of them was allergic to the litter. It took me forever and alot of money to figure this out.

Food is the other big one to think about... My Zoey has both food allergies and litter allergies

Have you tried the vanilla trick ?

What litter, food, cleaners do you use?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmmmm.....I hadn't thought of that. I just always think of it as "Jennie's thing".

I use plain clay litter.

I am currently in the process of switching to the SmartCatBox system, which uses safflower seed. When the transition is complete it will be interesting to see if Jennie's licking stops.

But I am definitely going to mention this idea to someone else I know with a kitty who licks her nether regions bald. That kitty has to go on amitriptyline periodically when it gets too bad.

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using "The World's Best Cat Litter"... but I was using it before she started licking. Could it be a delayed reaction? Thanks so much for your suggestion. Please keep 'em coming!!! Thanks so much.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petfindergal

I'm using "The World's Best Cat Litter"... but I was using it before she started licking. Could it be a delayed reaction? Thanks so much for your suggestion. Please keep 'em coming!!! Thanks so much.
Did you change the formula? ie from reg to multi cat >?

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! It is different! Same brand of litter as always, but the manufacturer changed the packaging. I didn't realize I'd bought the multi-cat variety... I always prefer get the regular kind. Wow. How interesting! I wonder how long this has been going on...I'm going to go out today and try a different litter---just in case. Thanks!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter I had the trouble with was Tidy Cat, although I'm guessing other brands with deodorizers, perfumes, chemicals would have probably caused the same reactions.

To intially stop the licking, itching and in one cat, self mutilation, I put them on Swheat Scoop. Problem solved in less than 48 hours. Personally I don't like the smell of Swheat scoop. Kind of like a barn yard.

So I did a little research and found that Dr Elsey's Precious Cat, doesn't contain any perfumes or deodorizers and it's a clumping litter. So I switched to that, with no re-occurance of the symptoms.
The added bonus was that it is cheaper than the Tidy Cat.

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Litter I use, "The World's Best Cat Litter" is a clumping litter made of corn, I believe. It's not supposed to have perfumes or dyes, which is why I like it, but I will try the Swheat Scoop. Wouldn't it be fantastic if her licking was due to something this simple?

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

My Jennie does this. She has a triangle area over her spay incision that she licks and licks and the hair is kept so short to be almost non existent. It's her Pink Triangle, since the pink skin shows through all the time.

Rarely does it go to sores, but I keep an eye on her and when I do see signs of bare skin and red spots I have an ointment called Animax prescribed by my vet.

Her only stress really is that she is always hungry.

Her appetite is never ever satiated and I know that must cause her some stress, I feel so bad for her. I feed her as much as I can and still keep her at a healthy weight.
I was kind of 'happy' and sad to read this. Ossi has his Pink Belly Syndrome too. Sometimes we tease him that he wants to be a girl because he licks it to look like he has just been spayed.

I have read several cats having this problem but Jennie seems to have the exact same issue that Ossi is having. For all that I can figure Ossi's main motive for the excessive licking seems to be food anxiety. He is a nervous kitty, yes, but looking back I think his Pink Belly started when we quit free feeding. He just can't cope with that. With stress it gets worse but it always seems to be related to food issues most.

Last two months have been particularly bad. His Pink Belly has spread to upper thighs. I assume this is because we have been away for more weekends which means he has had access to free food those times, then it has been again pulled when we come home. I can see how he starts the rigorous licking when he feels hungry/snacky. It's like he licks when his belly feels a little empty even. Early morning I can hear him TEARING on the belly and it's terrible. (Now you say why don't I just stop starving him. Sigh. We had to stop free feeding because he just would not stop eating! He is stress eater and has no sense. Not to mention he is not the only kitty in need of weight watching).

Ossi will lick all hair off but not pull. Occasionally he will get little sores from just rough tongue, and I use Animax too. I have had suggestions of using sour Apple oitnments etc deterrants but I am hesitant because I am sure this will just spread the licking. He is a cat who will lick paws etc when he gets spooked or is just unsure what to do. You know, that obsessive quick licking like he can't stop.

I have taken him to the vet and the vet's opinion is that it's most likely psychological. I had him on NB:s Green Pea and Duck diet for 2 months and it did not seem to make a difference. Otherwise he has not been allergy tested. We have used Pestel's clumping litter for years and I treat for fleas etc with Revolution.

I am not sure what to do with it other than push for run of tests and find out it's inconclusive. He seems to get worse/better in cycles and it's not seasonal. He def got better when he had more stimulation (new brother, more play time) which to me was proof that it is indeed something neurotic vs allergic.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

I was kind of 'happy' and sad to read this. Ossi has his Pink Belly Syndrome too. Sometimes we tease him that he wants to be a girl because he licks it to look like he has just been spayed.

I have read several cats having this problem but Jennie seems to have the exact same issue that Ossi is having. For all that I can figure Ossi's main motive for the excessive licking seems to be food anxiety. He is a nervous kitty, yes, but looking back I think his Pink Belly started when we quit free feeding. He just can't cope with that. With stress it gets worse but it always seems to be related to food issues most.

Last two months have been particularly bad. His Pink Belly has spread to upper thighs. I assume this is because we have been away for more weekends which means he has had access to free food those times, then it has been again pulled when we come home. I can see how he starts the rigorous licking when he feels hungry/snacky. It's like he licks when his belly feels a little empty even. Early morning I can hear him TEARING on the belly and it's terrible. (Now you say why don't I just stop starving him. Sigh. We had to stop free feeding because he just would not stop eating! He is stress eater and has no sense. Not to mention he is not the only kitty in need of weight watching).

Ossi will lick all hair off but not pull. Occasionally he will get little sores from just rough tongue, and I use Animax too. I have had suggestions of using sour Apple oitnments etc deterrants but I am hesitant because I am sure this will just spread the licking. He is a cat who will lick paws etc when he gets spooked or is just unsure what to do. You know, that obsessive quick licking like he can't stop.

I have taken him to the vet and the vet's opinion is that it's most likely psychological. I had him on NB:s Green Pea and Duck diet for 2 months and it did not seem to make a difference. Otherwise he has not been allergy tested. We have used Pestel's clumping litter for years and I treat for fleas etc with Revolution.

I am not sure what to do with it other than push for run of tests and find out it's inconclusive. He seems to get worse/better in cycles and it's not seasonal. He def got better when he had more stimulation (new brother, more play time) which to me was proof that it is indeed something neurotic vs allergic.
In Ossi's case you'd think your Vet would suggest medicating with Prozac or Amitriptyline. He wouldn't absolutely have to stay on it forever. Our vet recommends a 4 month regimine, then back off the meds. Often your cat won't go back to the old nervous behaviors.
Some of course will need a maintenance dose for life.
Maybe you can ask your Vet about this.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

In Ossi's case you'd think your Vet would suggest medicating with Prozac or Amitriptyline. He wouldn't absolutely have to stay on it forever. Our vet recommends a 4 month regimine, then back off the meds. Often your cat won't go back to the old nervous behaviors.
Some of course will need a maintenance dose for life.
Maybe you can ask your Vet about this.
He's going to another vet next week who is supposedly more of a cat expert. The belly is really 'licked up' now, so it's good time to show it. Otherwise Ossi is very playful and I can't say that anything is bothering him particularly.

He is prone to tummy issues but he has not even had that lately. Sometimes I wonder if he does indeed have belly pains but he does not appear to have discomfort, nor issues with stools. I hate to change foods because of him but actually the fact is that he reacts strongly to the ones he can't tolerate but foods that he tolerates he gets used to fairly fast. He is probably the most accepting of trying out new stuff of our cats.

"Psych" meds were never suggested. When I see his hairline escaping I have to wonder when comes a point that it just has to be stopped somehow. It's good to know he might not need to stay on them forever if he needed something to just stop the cycle. I was surprised how casually the vet just said that "some cats just do it". I was worried about thyroid etc but I guess there were no other signs for that originally, and by now it's clear it's not that. It makes me sad to see the pinky grow. If he at least was able to not get worse with it.

P.S. Ossi wanted to be fellow pinky Jennie's friend but I guess you can't click on the pics on the sig line

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The litter I had the trouble with was Tidy Cat, although I'm guessing other brands with deodorizers, perfumes, chemicals would have probably caused the same reactions.

To intially stop the licking, itching and in one cat, self mutilation, I put them on Swheat Scoop. Problem solved in less than 48 hours. Personally I don't like the smell of Swheat scoop. Kind of like a barn yard.

So I did a little research and found that Dr Elsey's Precious Cat, doesn't contain any perfumes or deodorizers and it's a clumping litter. So I switched to that, with no re-occurance of the symptoms.
The added bonus was that it is cheaper than the Tidy Cat.
I bought some Swheat Scoop yesterday... we'll keep our fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice.

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Picked up some Swheat Scoop. It's not bad, it doesn't clump quite as good as The World's Best Kitty Litter" but it's also not as dusty, which is great. Kitties are still itching, although maybe less? It's hard to say. I'm glad I tried the new litter, but I'm not sure it's the cause of the licking. Thanks for your input everyone!

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a kitty who overgrooms her belly. We took her in after her previous owner died, and even in the vet records we were given, she was overgrooming. So we know it's not a recent thing, what with her owner dying, and moving to a new home in a new town, and having to live with another cat when she used to live alone. I'm actually glad she's always been an overgroomer and it's not due to all the change she's been through in the last 4 months. In any case, I'm holding off on the vet visit for now because she's never licked herself raw, and there's enough of the fine undercoat to protect her. I bought some bitter apple spray (safe for her skin) but haven't applied it yet because I'm worried she might just transfer to a new area, then she'll be hairless in additional places. She also grooms her left underarm to almost bald, but again, not enough to break the skin. One positive is that she has cut back on grooming her inner thighs as much so that hair has returned since we got her. I'm practicing patience for now, waiting to see if she just needs more time to get used to her new surroundings. In any case, she'll see the vet in February for her first appt since her adoption and we'll deal with a possible anxiety treatment at that time. Basically, it's more cosmetic than actually problematic right now, so I'm trying to just love her and we'll go from there. But I appreciate this thread to know I'm not the only one with an overgroomer.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do parents of overgroomers act in relation to petting those overgroomed areas? Or maybe I should ask if your cat/s mind the areas being touched?

Ossi likes petting in general and he does not mind if his Pink Belly gets scratched or petted. I think he enjoys it but I generally avoid touching it too much. I tend to think that putting any extra 'smells' there might just encourage more grooming. Naturally I have to hold him down after I treat it too because he will just lick the cream off right away. I think the Animax should taste nastier!

I wonder how others deal with this - it is quite tempting to stroke his pinky, it's so soft with that baby fuzz!

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

How do parents of overgroomers act in relation to petting those overgroomed areas? Or maybe I should ask if your cat/s mind the areas being touched?
My DH and I pet her belly like it's any other part of her. She doesn't seem to protect it or act like it's uncomfortable if we happen to touch it. She is a bit jumpy in general, so we don't overly pet her in any location. Poor girl. Her fur is so thick everywhere else, if only she'd leave her belly alone!