Obsessive Eating of Inanimate Objects

whisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Neko seems to have a strange obsession with eating things he is not supposed to- string, small plastic or rubber things, etc. pretty much anything he can fit in his mouth! I have locked away everything he can eat, which includes all his and the other cats' toys. That doesn't make the others too happy!

I've had to call the vet multiple times. He has eaten string, multiple rubber bracelets, and some other random objects...

Is there any way I can stop this? I don't want the other cats to be upset because he eats their toys and I have to hide them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, he also will chase his tail for hours if we let him... Perhaps he is just OCD?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is Neko? Kittens do like to taste everything, and so he may grow out of it as he grows older. Some cats however seem to do this for life. :( The behavior is called PICA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is Neko? Kittens do like to taste everything, and so he may grow out of it as he grows older. Some cats however seem to do this for life. :( The behavior is called PICA.
Thank you for the reply! He is going to be six months at the end of the month. I hope he grows out of it! :(