Observations on a friendly feral colony.

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I'm here now, and so many of you have a lot of experience with feral colonies. And I noticed some behaviors in this colony that I'd never quite seen before.

Now, the colony had originally found a home in an abandoned house on the corner that no one had lived in for nearly 15 years (kids would break windows, sneak in and do drugs or have sex, etc...). They arrived shortly before Sandy in summer of 2012. We first saw Ashe using the good soil around a decorative tree in our yard as a litter box from the second story window (free fertilizer. lol). We tossed a little piece of plain roasted chicken out the window, which he investigated a few minutes after the fear eased up. We offered whatever kitty safe scraps we could. An old (not bad, but it was sitting for a few months) can of tuna, or unseasoned scraps from chicken breasts. For about a month and a half before Sandy hit.

After Sandy (turns out one neighbor had sheltered him during the worst of the hurricane in their garage), Ashe came around and would beg for food. And often, would beg for way more then he was eating. I watched out the window and noticed he was leaving food for his mother and sister (who I hadn't known about at first). This trend continued for months, as Ashe got more and more comfortable around me. The others began to approach a little more as well.

Here's where the unusual part begins.

Ashe seemed to have made friends with the neighbor's huge old cat that they've had for as long as I can remember (10 years, at least). Each of them would stand a few feet from where I'd put the food, and seem to be guarding the black cats as they ate. Ashe would even run interference if he thought I was approaching, so they'd finish eating. Ashe and the neighbor's cat (who's name I still don't remember) would always protect the girls, and approach me for food for them, for months. There were times I'd chase away possums and such, with Ashe at my side. (Some of the possums here are a bit aggressive towards the cats)

Ashe began to encourage/teach Kira to approach me, as Ashe started spending more time in the neighbor's house. So now, Kira took over that job, even though the others literally push her away from the food. Eventually, I started standing near Kira for a few minutes till she'd stop eating on her own, and then I'd go inside and let the others come eat. Kira's sister will eat near me now, and won't push her from the food (though she often sniffs Kira's dish, to make sure she doesn't have something better
).

Have you guys noticed tamer cats protecting ferals like that? I've very rarely seen cats quite so protective of each other. I've seen them bond, but this seems so extremely social and well planned. They certainly are all very close knit, even with their "arguments". It's certainly helped these guys develop an appropriate relationship with humans here. They don't approach strange people, only the ones who spend a few months earning it.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have a nice, bonded colony, although none sounds extremely feral.  A friend of mine has a colony like that.  The members of her colony range from ferals (who would only allow her to approach them after months of feeding) to her own housecats.  All move about her yard with ease, some come in the house and some sleep in her shed or a few small houses she has.

They do protect the yard from "intruders" although for some reason, they have, over the years, allowed certain cats to join the gang.  I guess we'll never know why.  She has any cat who wanders into her yard fixed, regardless.  Some were neighbor's cats and no one has ever objected.  (She's pretty sure some have never noticed!)

She lives in a small trailer park and there are a lot of transients, so she feels it is better to address the spay/neuter issue rather than find more kittens!

It does sound like you have provided a nice environment for the cats - there would be a lot more fighting and competition if there wasn't enough shelter and food for everyone to feel comfortable.

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been impressed with how our colony cats interact with each other. They are so sweet to one another. If one cat is eating and another puts his head in the dish the first cat just steps back and waits for his turn again. They are all head bumping and side rubbing from morning till nite. What I love the most is seeing a couple of them in the same bed, hugging and taking turns grooming each other. We are about 75% socialized cats and 25% that still need more work. They don't seem to care which group the cat is in. They are equal opportunity lovers. I've not witnessed the cats saving food for each other but it doesn't surprise me to hear that some cats do that.

I wish that more people had the humanity of most feral cats!