Oblong, (very) freely movable hard rod under cat's skin? Is it a tumor?

puckoftheforest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was petting him today when I noticed it- right in between his shoulder blades, under the skin, there's a very small rod-shaped lump. It seems to have rounded edges(at the ends- it's like a cylinder, but it narrows towards both ends into a rounded point), and it's about a centimeter and a half long max, and maybe a 1/8th of a centimeter thick, if that. He seems to have absolutely no issue with it, and let me move it as I pleased, and it was very easily movable, to the point of where I could move it perpendicular to his skin, and within a two-inch radius - it doesn't seem connected to anything. I could turn it horizontally or vertically, and he didn't mind it at all. It's definitely hard though- it feels almost like bone, though I imagine he'd have more issue with that. There's no give, and when pushing on both sides gently, it did feel like it could potentially snap. He is acting normal- absolutely no abnormal behavior. Is this simply a cat gland/bone that I don't know about? Should I see a vet?

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where did you get your cat? That is most likely a microchip. I can feel both of my boys' chips and that is exactly what they feel like.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? What is his weight like? While it might be possible it is a microchip. Feeby (16+yo) has a rod shaped like protrusion you can feel while petting her in the area just where you are describing. It is part of her vertebrae that sticks out. It also moves somewhat, and is typically related to age and muscle mass loss. Maybe just another possibility to consider?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puckoftheforest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where did you get your cat? That is most likely a microchip. I can feel both of my boys' chips and that is exactly what they feel like.
He's a stray, but I got him microchipped, so that's likely it! Thank you- I was worried about it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puckoftheforest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? What is his weight like? While it might be possible it is a microchip. Feeby (16+yo) has a rod shaped like protrusion you can feel while petting her in the area just where you are describing. It is part of her vertebrae that sticks out. It also moves somewhat, and is typically related to age and muscle mass loss. Maybe just another possibility to consider?
He's only four, and he's average weight, though it can be hard to tell, considering he has a lot of fur. He's definitely not over or underweight, and I'd say he has more muscle mass than my other cats, so I don't think that's it! That might be what my friends cat has though- I'll tell her about that!