Obi started poo'ing outside his box(es).. : (

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have posted before about Obi;  He is 17 and has a tentative dx of IBD, managed well with pred, probiotics, other meds and wellactin.  He gets miralax and pumpkin; the miralax is new because I felt the psyllium was disturbing his tummy; I understand it can cause gas.  He was recently to the vet and had his anal glands expressed.  One was full, so I thought I had the problem solved - but the inappropriate elimination is continuing.  IDK what the issue is.  He was ultrasounded back at the end of August and the vet saw three small spots on his spleen but his health has been great since then.  she wants to do another US based on t he litter behavior; I am hesitant.  Not because of the cost, but because US's seem to reveal stuff that may or may not be a problem, and that jacks up my anxiety.  I thought I would watch him for a bit (US scheduled for next monday); but he poo'd again today outside the box.

Thought and suggestions much appreciated!    

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he constipated at all? Are the stools normal? Does he have any arthritis that might make it hard for him to get in and out of the box? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His stools seem harder than I would prefer, but certainly not abnormally so.  As I said he is on miralax and pumpkin; I was giving psyllium instead of miralax but it seemed to make him not feel good.  I can reduce the psyllium and omit the miralax..

He may have arthritis, but he is on gabapentin for that issue.  HTH.  

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

His stools seem harder than I would prefer, but certainly not abnormally so.  As I said he is on miralax and pumpkin; I was giving psyllium instead of miralax but it seemed to make him not feel good.  I can reduce the psyllium and omit the miralax..

He may have arthritis, but he is on gabapentin for that issue.  HTH.  
Have you tried slippery elm? It does sound like he may be constipated. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't do slippery elm..he's on pred. Slippery elm blocks the pred.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't do slippery elm..he's on pred. Slippery elm blocks the pred.
Slippery elm only "may" interfere with the absorption of some medications if given at the same time. There's no contraindication for giving SE and prednisone, there are a lot of people that give both, just not at the same time. SE is actually very good for IBD cats in particular. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, and I have given SLB in the past.  But right now I am trying to figure out the litter box issue; he is not showing any signs of gastric distress. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, and I have given SLB in the past.  But right now I am trying to figure out the litter box issue; he is not showing any signs of gastric distress. 
Well it sounds like he may be constipated from what information you've provided, and SE would help with that, but if you'd rather adjust his other supplements first that may be a good approach. Some cats will poop outside the box when they are constipated, even mildly. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All good points, Missmimz.  I wonder what I can do in addition to what I am doing. Today I gave psyllium again, just less...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update 12/19 and need more thoughts:  I got new, larger boxes for the cats and I did add in the Royal Canine GI formula to t heir Nature's Variety.  Well, they love the dry food, and for about 2 weeks, all was good.  Then 2 days ago I found more poo outside the box and also today.  I want to be clear that the poo is not near the box.

At this point, I know I either in for blood tests or an Ultrasound.  Obi is 17.  He seems really good otherwise, eatting, drinking, habits, mood demeanor are all normal.  As I have expressee previously, my experiences with ultrasounds is that they have given me information that is not able to be be interpreted, and just raise my anxiety.  But I dont know how to interpret this behavior.