Obi has an appt. with internal medicine today - He has Pancreatitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post an update on Obi for comments.  The last few days, especially, Obi has been doing really well.  Behavior almost  his old self, cheerful, hanging out and around instead of under the bed, appetite still good.  Last week we upped  his pred to 5mg from  2.5.  This morning, though, I found a small hairball.  This makes me feel bad!  its been about a week since his last one, and it was not very bad but I still feel bad.  Does anyone's cat still throw up hair even on pred?  I have been brushing him a lot with the furminator, and I added a weak SLB of 1/4 tsp twice a day to his food a few days ago.  Increased it to 1/2 this AM....He is otherwise doing well.  Comments appreciated.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wanted to post an update on Obi for comments.  The last few days, especially, Obi has been doing really well.  Behavior almost  his old self, cheerful, hanging out and around instead of under the bed, appetite still good.  Last week we upped  his pred to 5mg from  2.5.  This morning, though, I found a small hairball.  This makes me feel bad!  its been about a week since his last one, and it was not very bad but I still feel bad.  Does anyone's cat still throw up hair even on pred?  I have been brushing him a lot with the furminator, and I added a weak SLB of 1/4 tsp twice a day to his food a few days ago.  Increased it to 1/2 this AM....He is otherwise doing well.  Comments appreciated.
Hello ... Glad to hear that Obi is feeling well.

Max hawked up a big hairball, just recently. This is highly unusual for him, but I was glad to see it just the same.  He is not currently getting SEB, but just probiotics. When it comes to hairballs, I would rather see these things come up, rather than stay in the digestive tract, where they can be harmful. I think the ultimate concern is when hairballs are too frequent, as this can be a sign that something is going on in the gut, but I am also inclined to think it could also be a matter of hair irritation. If hairballs are occasional, I think this is completely normal.

From what I am reading, it sounds as though Obi's hairball situation is stabilizing.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, One.  Well, one hairball a week is still too much - isnt it?  the good news is that it was not a large one, and it was not real solid.   I am thinking also of restarting EYL, unless there is a down side to that which I am not aware of.

BUt yes, he does not seem uncomfortable now.  I am pretty sure the pancreatitis is resolved.  I also understand that increasing pred takes about ten days to two weeks for full efficacy...and it is probably unrealistic of me to think Obi will never throw a hairball.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi, One.  Well, one hairball a week is still too much - isnt it?  the good news is that it was not a large one, and it was not real solid.   I am thinking also of restarting EYL, unless there is a down side to that which I am not aware of.

BUt yes, he does not seem uncomfortable now.  I am pretty sure the pancreatitis is resolved.  I also understand that increasing pred takes about ten days to two weeks for full efficacy...and it is probably unrealistic of me to think Obi will never throw a hairball.
Maybe. It depends on if things continue like this, how he feels and why he is bringing this up. Is it because of the hair, or is it because he is vomiting due to something else, and a bit of hair is coming up?

I wish I could be of more help here, but honestly, if it were my cat, I would go for an ultrasound to rule a few things out. I know this involves a cat lying on its back, but I think success with this depends to a great extent on the care, patience and handling of the staff doing the procedure. It doesn't have to be a negative experience. I would discuss any concerns you have with your vet.

Last edited:

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Obi vomits hair because he has a motility issue.  Almost always the hairballs are close to the litter box, probably they come up after he passes stool.   He has an appt in a couple of weeks with his new vet.  We'll see what she thinks.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get some feedback regarding Obi.  FYI, he is on 5 mg pred.  I added in some very weak SEB (recipe of 1/2 tsp SE to 1 cup water); 1/2 tsp at morning meal, 1/4 tsp at mid day meal.

I also decided to try Vets Best again.  I started with 1/4 pill BID because he has still been tossing small amounts of hair - much less than he was - about once a week.  This morning I ground up 1/2 pill into  his food along with the SLB, but I reduced it to  1/4 tsp.  My question is:  should I be giving both the VB AND the slb?  if not, which one should I stop?  Just an update too on the VB, because he threw it up the first time  I gave it to him, I have re-introduced it very slowly.  However, again, the time he threw it up, he also was given duck for dinner, and that could  have been the problem, or it could have been random.  I am taking him to a new vet this Saturday, but they rarely know about supplements.  Any advice will be appreciated. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Posting an update about Obi:

New vet appt today.  She was wonderful.  She examined him, palpated him well.  Found no evidence of lumps or bumps and no discomfort at all on Obi's end, in fact, he seemed to really like her.  We discussed the IBD/lymphoma issue:  She does not feel Obi  has either, as he is not losing weight - has in fact GAINED some weight - is not vomiting and does not have diarrhea.  She does think there is some GI issue going on but does not really think he has either of these ...Imagine my relief!  She recommended continuing with the B12 once a week for another month, and increasing the Vets Best to 1/2 tab twice a day and see how he tolerates it.  She expressed  his anal glands, something no one has ever done for Obi.

She wants me to add in a hairball lubricant in two weeks, she feels that will help the hairballs too, as well as coat his tummy.  I am open to suggestions for what oral laxatives cat lovers here use.

When I left I felt I had just lost ten pounds of worry.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, Arinlars.  I know Obi is not out of the woods but  at least for now, my worries have lifted.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches:

I have had cats for 40 years. Yes, I do know about pancreatitis, thanks to the many contributors here and collective knowledge. However, Obi's pancreatis was mild; he seems to have recovered, and his TAMU showed no damage to the functioning of the pancreas. Yes, I know it can return.
Hey.My vet said my almost 11 yr old (will b 11 yrs in July)has mild pancreatis.When he was doing exam.And feeling around his belly etc said his pancreas was slightly inflamed.Bloodwork said his PSL LIPA was high.His EOS was high.
Peaches:

I have had cats for 40 years. Yes, I do know about pancreatitis, thanks to the many contributors here and collective knowledge. However, Obi's pancreatis was mild; he seems to have recovered, and his TAMU showed no damage to the functioning of the pancreas. Yes, I know it can return.
My vet said my cat that is almost 11 yrs old in July has mild pancreatis.
20190430_095114.jpg
20190430_095055.jpg
This is his senior blood wwork.What do u think

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches:

And this also
20190430_100723.jpg

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a diagnosis of pancreatitis is non definitive? that he may or may not have it? I would ask the vet about fluids; I would keep him eating, that is very important.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a diagnosis of pancreatitis is non definitive? that he may or may not have it? I would ask the vet about fluids; I would keep him eating, that is very important.
Ok.What do u think about fancy feast for gravy lovers