obese kitten ate 2000 calories still wants more

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a momma cat bring 2 kittens to our house mid-july. The momma was tiny so we would give her kitten food and I would give her chicken to try and help her get some meat back on. The kittens would take it from her especially the male kitten. I would hiss at him, say a firm no nothing worked until the dawn bottle he finally got it. Now he is nice and polite has learned to sit and shake, if I throw him a piece of chicken or a treat and its not within a couple inches he waits for me to say go ahead. The problem now is his sister she's the thief, will wolf down her treat or her food and goes for his if I'm not there she takes it from him. They are outside only cats so I can't separate them. Its gotten so bad I am at that point I can't stand her she listens to nothing and very stubborn. They sleep upstairs on my landlords porch and eat on mine. She only comes here to eat the other day I kept feeding her all day to see if she would stop oh no she ate 4 times 4 and 1/2 cups of dry and 1 and 1/2 cans of wet then sitting on my stoop by midnite waiting for more sat there all night long( I don't sleep good) was still there at 8 am waiting for more. I chase her off she waits for me to go in and will either sniff the whole porch or sit right there waiting. She is very inactive doesn't play doesn't leave the yard. When you look at one of those charts for cats it should go over 9 she's more like an 11 or 12. I don't know how much she weighs her belly nearly touches the ground and she's not long her legs are only maybe 2 inches long. Please help

Last edited by a moderator:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were you I would begin timed feedings.  1/2 can in the morning and another 1/2 can in the evening.  No dry...it tends to put more weight on them and it's full of stuff they don't need.  Feed them at the same approximate time everyday and after 1/2 hour pick up the dishes.  They will acclimate to your feeding schedule and if they're still hungry, they can go find some mice.  This schedule may help the little fatty to get of her duff and chase something.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also wondering about her being pregnant or needing to be dewormed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am guessing that she is pregnant and will be having a litter of kittens soon. Pregnant cats eat an enormous amount of food.

Can you see her nipples? If they are pink and protrude she is pregnant again.

Also, her female kitten will be pregnant soon if she is not spayed. Either you or your landlord need to get the kittens spayed and neutered, and get mama cat fixed after this next litter.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby? Humane Societies usually offer the service, as do other organizations. Perhaps you and your landlord could split the cost, otherwise your cat population is going to get out of control.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing that she is pregnant and will be having a litter of kittens soon. Pregnant cats eat an enormous amount of food.

Can you see her nipples? If they are pink and protrude she is pregnant again.

Also, her female kitten will be pregnant soon if she is not spayed. Either you or your landlord need to get the kittens spayed and neutered, and get mama cat fixed after this next litter.

Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic nearby? Humane Societies usually offer the service, as do other organizations. Perhaps you and your landlord could split the cost, otherwise your cat population is going to get out of control.
It's the female kitten who is eating all the food, not the mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say that the mom and the kitten are probably both pregnant if they have not been spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys for all the replies. Yes, it is the kitten the mom is off once again. Both kittens will be fixed this week I don't think she's pregnant she hasn't come into heat as of yet. The best i can figure is both these kittens are just getting ready to turn 5 months. I have wormed them 4 times because we thought it was worms as well but nothing changes in her appetite. She sucks down a cup of food like its nothing and goes for her brothers if she can if I don't sit and watch even then she tries to be sneaky. She knows the word no but could care less she will keep going and going doesn't matter what it is. I have a convertible car and she insists on keep getting on it im going nuts and these really aren't our kittens. The male cat is fine so polite if I tell him no he normally listens but there are days lately where he keeps seeing her act up so his starting to do things now as well. I never knew an animal could stress you like this one does. Right now im at the point where I just want her to stay the heck off my patio unless its time to eat. Thanks for any help you can offer.

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also at night while she waits for more food she will put her backside against the door and take her tail and keep thumping on the door its gotten so I've had to put vinegar, ammonia or any other smelly cleaner in front of the door so she can't do that all night. So then she gets in my chair climbs in the windowsill and will start scratching the screen to hell I've started putting big plastic cups of water she's gotten wet more than once.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds like she really needs and wants a home. I know she is annoying to you, but I feel sorry for her.

I wonder if she needs more affection? I'm thinking that perhaps her food obsession may be her way of seeking attention. Have you ever tried petting her or playing with her?

Last edited:

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My landlandlord/roommate does, but she doesn't play. The male cat plays we play ball all the time and a laser and something on a stick. The most she does is walk fast if she thinks you've thrown food in the yard. Landlord talked about bringing her in for the winter how did I feel about it i didn't like it in home now with the both of tham and cent tolerate her. Shed be on the counters constantly and she just does not listen and I think would be unfair to leave the other one out and honestly the both together are to much and it have to move out if she moved in. Its sad but true if shed just listen one little bit neither of us are cat people either. The first time we had a counter or table issue they'd be gone especially from him.

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THe owner had posted on the hoa email that his momma cat and kittens missing my landlord contacted him he came an got them. Couple days later here comes momma cat dragging them back here minus one kitten there were 3. He mustve kept outside to or kept letting them out. The mcomma cat travels around people keep listing her as found on craigslist she's gotten 10 miles out. They arrived here mid July and she was weaning them then.

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take them all to the vet. No kitten can eat 2000 calories all on her own. If she is, something is going on and she needs a vet to check her up. And then, if they are friendly enough, take them to an animal rescue. They deserve homes.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you rehome them? It sounds like they need more attention and a proper home. Cats that spend most of their time outside, and always have, will not follow directions that you give them. It's possible that things could change if you brought them in / if they had consistent training.

silversfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other cat her littermate and male is fine. He has manners waits for me to say go ahead before he even eats his food. They are about half feral they don't like it when anyone other than the 3 of us are around they go hide. I have tried to catch her believe you and me i would've taken her months ago to the shelter. Its gotten worse I've cut down on her food to 1/2 cup dry mixed with 1/4 can wet 2x daily and 1/4 cup dry with a little wet mixed in at lunch. She sucks it down and goes for his and he doesn't like all the drama he takes off so he doesn't even eat much at all. If he comes back later I give him his food and she thinks its time again for her to eat again and just torments him. A friend with cats says she's never seen anything like this before she said put some wicks or the muscle stuff that smells bad on plastic around the door tried that she doesn't care. I put wicks all over a piece of sardine she ate that. I found a motion activated owl at dollar tree putout this afternoon seemed to work until this evening when time for them to eat she sucked hers down went for his i squirted her with water got it wet. Im going out of town tomorrow for a week I can't wait to get away from this cat from hell.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's really quite sad that you hate this cat so much. It doesn't sound to me like she's doing anything outside normal cat behavior. She is in need of a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.