Obese cat, not losing weight at all

dominique leduc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much! We started this journey a year ago & I have done exhaustive reading about the whole weight loss process - I will check out your links to make sure I haven't missed anything though! Ive read all about the dangers and of HL and recognize that kitty weightloss is a serious undertaking. When we first started out and changed the calorie intake it was very slow and we weighed him constantly. Both of my cats have been on about 180-200 cals now for over a year (on excellent food, nutrition wise- healthy weight female has maintained her weight, and my overweight boy has very SLOWLY lost) so I'm just going to keep the calories the same, but change the diet around so they're having 3/4 wet food and 1/4 dry, instead of the other way around. Slowly of course - so they don't wise up to me ;) so incorporating that meal plan with freeze dried treats instead of regular treats, a new kitty jungle gym and more dedicated playtime, maybe we'll see a bit more of a shift. In just over a year now he has come down about 2lbs. So maybe it's just taking him more time? I'm in no rush,of course, I know the weight loss must be very slow to be healthy. And he is headed in the right direction, seems very content & healthy. So definitely not going to feed any less, just change the wet/dry food ratio and see if that helps. Thank you so much for your input and thought; everyone has been so helpful!! :-D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its been over a year here, too. Except no progress, of course!

I just ordered a new condo for my four felines, a seven footer! Ah! Its real wood ...the last one lasted 11 years, being recarpeted once. I saved up for this sucker, so its an early Christmad present for me and them. I swear Im so excited about it! Its coming on Monday, free shipping, 75 lbs, fully assembled!

buddysmom54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat has been slightly overweight most of his life and truly is big-boned. However, he was briefly on Hills c/d which skyrocketed his weight. He is now obese and weights 19.2 lbs. I have spoken with three vets about getting his weight down and I have worked diligently on it with no success. One vet recommended him to be on 390 kcals per day and another recommended 156 kcals per day. I tried adding water to his food and even switched him to a wet food diet. Even on 156 kcals, he is not losing weight. He isnt actually that lazy...he runs around and plays chase. I am at a loss. He has now beendieting for a full year with only a 3 oz.loss. Coyld he have a health issue preventing weight loss? Besides obesity, he is healthy. I dont even know how much to be feeding him anymore and I am concerned about health issues. Also, I am worried that a very low amount of calories will leave him nutritionally deficient. Please help. I am lost with this and the vets do not seem to care and all their suggestions with calories are so vastly different. He is currently only eating one 5.5 oz can of wet food (Trader Joes) plus 1-2 Tbsp of dry food (Taste of the Wild.) His blood work is good...no uti issues..no known health issues. He is 5 yrs old and nuetered.
Have you tried the Science Diet Healthy Weight? I was having same problem with my 10 year old female. At one point she was up to 19.3 lbs and was then eating Science Diet Indoor dry food. She is now 15.3 and the most important thing that really helped with her losing weight was a automatic feeder, where I could portion her food throughout the day, Her last visit to the vet was in Sept. And her weight has stayed the same for almost a year. My Vet was so happy with her weight and now she is even suggesting to some of her patients about getting an auto feeder.