Obese Cat - Advice Needed

trishasmith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat is HUGE. He is a 23lb fluff ball with a weight problem. She has taken him to the vet to try to find out what to do to get it under control and the vet has done tests and determined he has a thyroid problem. They told her to cut back his food and try to increase his activity, but she is having trouble. She has finally given up because he is so unhappy. She decided she would rather have an overweight happy cat with a shorter life than an unhappy cat who she feels she is starving to death and tormenting. Here's what she was trying.

She put him on a special weight management food (super expensive). He was only allowed 1/4 cup per day.

He would get his 1/4 cup of food each morning in his bowl. By noon his food was gone and every time anyone walked through the kitchen the cat would run in and cry and beg for more, pleading to be fed.  By the next morning when he got his next 1/4 cup of food he was starving and would scarf it down. She did this for 5 months with no change to his behavior. His stomach never shrunk or appetite change. He didn't adjust. She didn't just start him on a sudden 1/4 cup of food. She slowly decreased it, incrementally cutting him down over the period of 2 months before he went for 5 months on the 1/4 cup.

During the 5 months on 1/4 cup/day he lost 2 pounds.

Her and my dad have tried to engage him in play. They have tried to increase his activity. He has no desire to play. He doesn't show any interest in cat toys, laser lights, cat nip, strings, moving objects, or anything else. He HAS hunted some of the birds in the backyard on the patio, but that is the only activity he has shown. He will go out on their patio and in their backyard and wander around, but he won't even bother to leave the yard because he refuses to jump the 8 foot fence.

Being a large cat he CAN jump high. We have seen him go over the 8 foot fence a few times, but he doesn't like to. He jumps up on to the beds, on the couch, on top of the entertainment centers, on the bar or table, etc. He runs quite fast to greet my dad when he comes home from work. But the rest of the time he prefers to just lay around and be lazy.

What can my parents do to help their cat? They worry about his health and well being. My brother has the brother of this cat (they look like twins) and he is a mirror image - but a normal size and super active. Complete opposite of what my parents' cat looks like. Any advice to give to my parents? My mom is retired so is home all day with the cat, and my dad will be retiring this year, so will also be home soon (other than the vacations they take, in which case my brother or sister always stay at the house so that the cat is never alone - that cat is so spoiled! :-) can't even be left alone over night while my parents go out of town!).

Thanks!

Here's a picture of him yesterday in front of the Christmas presents.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to both of you 

The first thing l notice is that you mention measuring food in cups, so l'm assuming this is dry food he's getting. To start, l would recommend putting him on a high protein, low carbohydrate wet food so he feels more satisfied with less food.

Here is a very long, detailed, and wonderful diary from here on The Cat Site, of a cat named Mickey and his journey back to a healthier weight:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/245236/mickey-my-27-lbs-foster-and-his-journey-back-to-a-healthy-weight

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree--cut out the dry, go on wet food diet with lots of water.  Obviously, a gradual switch is best rather than changing it all at once.  I would also divvy up the food into 2 or 3 servings so he doesn't eat all his food in one serving and then goes hungry for half a day.  If they continue with dry food, that's what I would do--he shouldn't be able to eat all his food in one go.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

Is he on thyroid medication?  Since his weight is at least partly medically to blame, I wiuld imagine that it would help if his thyroid was controlled....

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its not so much, how much you are feeding, but rather what the kcal count is, in what you are feeding. 

What weight management food are they feeding him, and..... putting weight management on the title of the product, is just a marketing ploy, you have to actually read the ingredients and know what the kcal count is.  Its the same marketing ploy, pet food companies use, and label the food, dental. If ya think about it, eating crunchies is not going to get rid of tarter, its like saying, if we ate potato chips, we wouldn't have to brush our teeth, lol.  

Who determined he should only get 1/4 cup a day? Your mother or the vet? How did they determine the amount?

With a cat that large, you want him to lose weight very very gradually, or they risk fat cat liver disease.

The vet is the one, based on his weight, based on what his weight should be, how long they want to take, for him to safely loose the weight, and based on what he is being fed, how much he should be fed.

I agree with the others too. What ever amount is determined he be fed, should be divyed up into 3 meals a day, and he should be on wet, mixed with water, that water filles him up, and keeps him hydrated and flushed out.

Ya, the others can tell you too, I am on the overly pickey side, lol, they are pretty use to me, lol. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishasmith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link to the site. I will definitely be reading it and passing it along to her!

She was originally giving him a spoonful of wet food in the morning and leaving just a small bowl of dry food out for him to graze on throughout the day, but when his weight began to go up she thought she had best check on what was going on with the vet.

It was the vet that recommended the dietary guidelines. They said to follow the dietary guidelines on the products strictly and not to stray from it at any time.  They told her to go with just the dry food and advised her to look in to using the Blue product line for weight management. We don't have any specialty pet stores here, so are stuck with bix box stores like PetCo and PetSmart, so she is restricted only to their products lines and their "knowledgeable" sales force, and so was advised by the sales people there that Blue, Iams, or Science Diet were her best bets for diet management.

So she stopped the wet foods, slowly started cutting back his dry foods until it got down to the "suggested" amount as per the bag directions, and stuck with that for five months. She took him in monthly to see the vet and he did incrementally lose a little here and there, which we knew it would be slow. But she can't stand the pitiful cries and begging, knowing he wants more and is not satisfied by what he is getting.

I am not sure if she is doing thyroid medication at this time or not. I'll have to check with her to find out. I believe she is, because she mentioned that it was the same medication that she takes for her thyroid problem. They have the exact same thyroid problem.

Trisha

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please ask her, what she is feeding, which Blue, or which Iams or which Science?

Iams and Science are full of grains, which is not condusive, to loosing weight, and the by products are not good for kitties either. Some Blue products, like Longevity and Spa, have grains in them too. I feed Blue Wilderness Chicken, its high in fat and high in protein, but mine are show kitties and they need the extra, for what they do.  They also only get 1/4 cup at night and 1/2 3.0 can mixed with water in the morn. They are not hungry and they are the correct weight.

Blue Wilderness is grain free, by product free, soy free, gluten free. There are several varietys that have different, lower fat and protein and kcal, depending on the kitties needs. 

The feeding guide on the bag, is just that, a guide, a place to start, and you adjust up or down, depending on if the kitty needs to gain weight or lose weight.  According to the bag, mine should be getting 1 cup a day, lol, they would be way too fat, lol.

Here is the Blue Buffalo site.

http://bluebuffalo.com/healthy-cat-food

The ingredients, and %'s and kcal is near the bottom of whatever product you click on.

Here is a very good site to read, regarding foodies. 

http://catinfo.org/

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he on Thyroid pills?  If he has a thyroid problem he isn't going to lose weight without the pills very easily.  This website is awesome about helping cats lose weight: http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity If the cat is hungry all the time, I would recommend that they maybe feed him 4-6 times a day just small amounts each time and don't go over the recommended alotment for his ideal weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishasmith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been reading up on all the information that has been given and educating herself on things, so thank you all for the information you have shared. VERY helpful! She was unaware of the wet food and is wanting to try it out with him to see how it goes! He IS on thyroid meds, so that combined with the change in foods may just help him lose some weight over the next year or so. We shall see how it goes! Now that she is learning more and is better prepared with knowledge on what to do maybe she can find more of the right types of foods.

Trisha