Nutro/recalled food update...4-10

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is why I stopped feeding Nutro. I had all my animals on it and as soon as I saw one of my kittens throw up I took everything back to PetsMart and got Fedilae and Canidae. I will NEVER feed my animals with a product that uses wheat, soybean, corn and it's made at Menu. I would rather buy them raw food and/or cook for them myself then feed this stuff.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm still feeding my two kittens Nutro Max kitten formula which contains NO gluten at all. They have been eating it since Nov. and they seemed fine. I did stop for a couple of weeks when they first announced the recall back in March. Now that they have found the source, I'm curious whether it is possible that melamine isn't necessarily from the wheat gluten. Possible cross contamination when they are processing wheat gluten and non-wheat gluten cans?

I heard from the news that a majority of wheat gluten we use are imported from China. Now I'm afraid to even go to asian markets to buy any food that contains wheat gluten!!! I recently saw this documentary, China Rises: Food is Heaven, it was scary..........

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I'm still feeding my two kittens Nutro Max kitten formula which contains NO gluten at all. They have been eating it since Nov. and they seemed fine. I did stop for a couple of weeks when they first announced the recall back in March. Now that they have found the source, I'm curious whether it is possible that melamine isn't necessarily from the wheat gluten. Possible cross contamination when they are processing wheat gluten and non-wheat gluten cans?
I'm not sure what you mean by "now that they found the source". Last I heard we were still focusing on Chinese wheat gluten being the problem. I probably just misunderstood you.

Personally, given the choices I have I am comfortable with the canned foods that do not contain wheat gluten.

When it comes to canned food, I do like to feed a variety of brands...I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. Of course, almost all the canned food comes from the same "basket" (Menu foods)...but that's another issue altogether.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

When it comes to canned food, I do like to feed a variety of brands...I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. Of course, almost all the canned food comes from the same "basket" (Menu foods)...but that's another issue altogether.
BOy arent we all ... IT WAS a SHOCK to find out 90-95% of all wet come from them

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I'm not sure what you mean by "now that they found the source". Last I heard we were still focusing on Chinese wheat gluten being the problem. I probably just misunderstood you.
I was referring to the wheat gluten imported from China. Sorry for the confusion. The funny thing is that the Chinese government put out a huge article stating that there is nothing wrong with the wheat gluten imported from them.

Me and my kitties are staying away from any wheat gluten, period. My mom has gone one extra step on boycotting all food manufactured from China. hahaha

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I was referring to the wheat gluten imported from China. Sorry for the confusion. The funny thing is that the Chinese government put out a huge article stating that there is nothing wrong with the wheat gluten imported from them.

Me and my kitties are staying away from any wheat gluten, period. My mom has gone one extra step on boycotting all food manufactured from China. hahaha
No problem...I just thought there was more news I missed.
Hmmm...nothing wrong, eh?

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm staing away from all the Menu Food products and all product that contains wheat gluten. Apparently ChemNutra ,the company that imported the wheat gluten from China, has sold it to Menu Food and as well a few other companies, which FDA refused to identify. It's pretty obvious that Purina is one of them as it's not made by menu food and has entered the recall.

As for boycotting food manufactured in China, it's not uncommon among the asian population currently living in North America. I myself and most of my friends has stop buying any food manufactuered in China for ages. If you live in asia, u'll hear dreadful news about contaminated food made in china...almost on a monthly basis.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so MAD right now!
This past weekend I went to Petsmart to get Neko (my foster cat who is currently battling AIHA) some wet food because he wasn't eatting that well. I fed it to him sunday and monday... then tuesday I hear that the food I just bought and fed to my cat got recalled!

This is beyond ridiculous! I swear, If he gets sick they are going to have one VERY pissed off person on there hands! How are we suppose to know whats safe when they keep changing stories...

Its only wet foods.... no wait.... Its wet and one type of dry only.... no wait.... Its treats too.... Oh and more kinds of wet foods.... Its rat poison.... no.... its the wheat gluten.... wait.... maybe its both.....

JUST TELL US WHATS GOING ON!

Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of this... Today I'm throwing out all of the canned food I have (even though some aren't recalled... yet) and buying on that I know has NO relationship to menu foods...