Nutro Carbohydrate Info From Manufacturer

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A697DE34-E2AA-4709-B0CD-27A2742E70ED.jpeg
Hi all,
My cats have taken to liking the nutro wet cat food but I found such conflicting information about carbohydrate content that I decided to email the company and ask them. I asked about the 3 products I feed and was very very shocked to learn that the minced chicken is very high In carbs. The cat food database lists it as very low so i guess they are wrong? I know some of you feed nutro and might be interested in this information so I thought I’d share.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very strange! Our cats love the minced chicken and there are no carby-sounding ingredients on the list. I called Nutro about carbs and phosphorus several years ago. They weren't giving out dry matter figures on carbs then but said the carbs for all three foods I fed (minced chicken, chunky chicken, sliced turkey) were "negligible." Which made perfect sense, given the ingredients.

Are you going to write back to them, 2BSH 2BSH , to ask them to clarify about those strange figures? I really wonder where all those minced chicken carbs could come from!

Finally, thank you for posting this! :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's very strange! Our cats love the minced chicken and there are no carby-sounding ingredients on the list. I called Nutro about carbs and phosphorus several years ago. They weren't giving out dry matter figures on carbs then but said the carbs for all three foods I fed (minced chicken, chunky chicken, sliced turkey) were "negligible." Which made perfect sense, given the ingredients.

Are you going to write back to them, 2BSH 2BSH , to ask them to clarify about those strange figures? I really wonder where all those minced chicken carbs could come from!

Finally, thank you for posting this! :catrub:
I was very surprised at this myself. There is nothing in the ingredients to suggest such a high carb level. No potato no topioca I’m stumped I guess. I will contact them and ask to clarify. I wrote them in the first place bc I asked a question on chewy about it and they came back with that (24%) number for the minced chicken.
And it’s my pleasure to share ! :thumbsup:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly, there's none of that stuff that usually raises the carbs. It's very odd. Our cats (especially our pickier eater) really love that one and I'd hate to lose it but that's just crazy on the carbs. I even wonder if they've changed the recipe but haven't posted the new ingredients on their site. Anyway, thank you for recontacting them! I'm very interested to hear how they respond.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be interested to hear what you find out as well. That high carb value really surprises me.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will be interested to hear what you find out as well. That high carb value really surprises me.
I actually thought of you when I got the information back and was hoping you’d see it. I know you mentioned you feed the minced nutro varieties. I’ll ley you guys know if I find out any more information. I’m glad I only have 1 can of that one left. I’m ok with the 12% minced chicken and shrimp but the 24% level Ill definitely stay away from.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly, there's none of that stuff that usually raises the carbs. It's very odd. Our cats (especially our pickier eater) really love that one and I'd hate to lose it but that's just crazy on the carbs. I even wonder if they've changed the recipe but haven't posted the new ingredients on their site. Anyway, thank you for recontacting them! I'm very interested to hear how they respond.
I’ll ask them if they changed the recipe recently. And yes. That’s waaaay too high for my liking. I’m glad my babies love the chunky chicken bc that’s what they’ll be getting from now on.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, ours like the chunky chicken, too, but that minced chicken's the big favorite! And yes, 12% is high but it's not over-the-top high; I'd still feed it occasionally as a treat. (Our cats have weird little stomachs so I really take it easy on their carbs!)

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also if that number is correct what good is it to try to figure it out yourself? For all I know all the carb numbers I figured out based on provided nutritional analysis are way off ‍♀..now I’m questioning everything. Great :bawling2::bawling2::bawling2:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if that number is correct what good is it to try to figure it out yourself? For all I know all the carb numbers I figured out based on provided nutritional analysis are way off ‍♀..now I’m questioning everything. Great :bawling2::bawling2::bawling2:
I hate to say it but yes, they probably are way off if you were using guaranteed analysis data from the cans. They'll give you a general sense but not a very accurate figure. I wish they'd just give dry matter for better comparisons!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go by the cat info chart as well but they make it so hard for us cat parents. When all we are trying to do is feed our kitties what's best for them.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go by the cat info chart as well but they make it so hard for us cat parents. When all we are trying to do is feed our kitties what's best for them.
Yes, I use the Cat Info chart, too, which should be good because she says she used typical nutrient analysis numbers. And another yes: it's all very frustrating because you just want to make an informed decision on what to feed!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
C0BD24AE-3019-4594-8F1D-DACC5227F7B4.png
I got more of an explanation from nutro. It doesn’t really explain the really high carb level but here is what they said

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 232197
I got more of an explanation from nutro. It doesn’t really explain the really high carb level but here is what they said
Thank you for this, 2BSH 2BSH ! Though this is bad news for Edwina and Ireland. And maybe your cats, too.

Even without specifics from Nutro, I found an explanation from Bob of the Red Mill baking products company. ;) One tablespoon of Bob's xanthan gum has 7 grams of carbs. One tablespoon of his guar gum has 9 grams. Considering that a lot of the 85 grams of can of Nutro minced chicken is water, it wouldn't take a lot of those gums to run up to nearly a quarter of the food's dry matter. Even so, wow. And wow again.

I do believe that the minced chicken carbs probably really were "negligible" when I called the company several years ago. The food has gotten progressively goopier over time. And I wonder if the foods are now even goopier, after the recent Nutro supply issues. Meaning I wonder if the recipe has changed. The cats still love it and I'll be sorry to see it go since it's always been a food that Ireland will eat. It'll now just be an occasional treat.

Thank you very, very much for checking into this: I vaguely knew those gums were carby but didn't realize just how carby! Just for fun (sort of), one tablespoon of sucrose/sugar has 15 grams of carbs. So the gums aren't as high but their carbs aren't insignificant by comparison, either.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this, 2BSH 2BSH ! Though this is bad news for Edwina and Ireland. And maybe your cats, too.

Even without specifics from Nutro, I found an explanation from Bob of the Red Mill baking products company. ;) One tablespoon of Bob's xanthan gum has 7 grams of carbs. One tablespoon of his guar gum has 9 grams. Considering that a lot of the 85 grams of can of Nutro minced chicken is water, it wouldn't take a lot of those gums to run up to nearly a quarter of the food's dry matter. Even so, wow. And wow again.

I do believe that the minced chicken carbs probably really were "negligible" when I called the company several years ago. The food has gotten progressively goopier over time. And I wonder if the foods are now even goopier, after the recent Nutro supply issues. Meaning I wonder if the recipe has changed. The cats still love it and I'll be sorry to see it go since it's always been a food that Ireland will eat. It'll now just be an occasional treat.

Thank you very, very much for checking into this: I vaguely knew those gums were carby but didn't realize just how carby! Just for fun (sort of), one tablespoon of sucrose/sugar has 15 grams of carbs. So the gums aren't as high but their carbs aren't insignificant by comparison, either.
That would explain it. I’m kind of bummed bc I thought that was one of the few foods in gravy my cats loved that wasn’t crazy carby. Oh well, they are just as happy eating pate. I was just being overzealous and trying to add a little texture variety.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would explain it. I’m kind of bummed bc I thought that was one of the few foods in gravy my cats loved that wasn’t crazy carby. Oh well, they are just as happy eating pate. I was just being overzealous and trying to add a little texture variety.
Same hear! It used to be low-carb. Oh well, RIP, minced chicken food. I'll have to write to ask them about the sliced turkey, though I haven't seen that one in the store for a long time. Anyway, thank you again for looking into this and posting.