Nutritional Supplement

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Briefly, one of my indoor only cats has decided that her food of choice is Applaws wet food. Of course, this is only "complimentary" and not nutritionally complete with its three only ingredients. She has always been a steadfast fish eater, did eat Fussie Cat (not entirely great but was complete), and has always wanted fish to look like fish, not pate or other textures. So, the overpriced can of tuna which is what the Applaws amounts to, appealed to her. Fussie Cat seems to be entirely unavailable.

I am trying to resolve this, but have two questions.

What is a good nutritional supplement that can be added to food which seems appealing to cats?
What other brands of cat food have the same texture? It needs to resemble a can of human fish products, not grilled, shredded, pate or the like, but is nutritionally complete. I have some Rawz on order, although I am not sure that it will work, found some ProPlan that looks the same, also got some Tiki Cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fancy Feast carries a line called 'Purely' that is nutritionally complete, and a smidge cheaper than Applaws. One example:
FANCY FEAST Purely Tender Tongol Tuna Wet Cat Food, 2-oz tray, case of 10 - Chewy.com

You might want to look at Reveal also - not complete, but it seems to be cheaper than Applaws too. I even have Reveal in my local grocery store.
Where to Buy | Natural Cat Food | Reveal Pet Food (jekbeeserver.com)
Amazon.com : Reveal Natural Wet Cat Food Ocean Fish in Broth 24 x 2.47oz Cans : Pet Supplies

EZ Complete seems to be the 'most popular' brand of supplement, but I will leave this part to the 'experts' who know better than I do.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some of the Soulistic foods have big chunks of fish in them, as I recall. Like Soulistic Aqua Grill, which is Tuna and Tilapia, and Soulistic Pure Bliss, strictly tuna.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try any of the lines within the Weruva and Soulistic brands. Both are made by the same company and the recipes for both brands are nearly identical.

This is old but might still be useful: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

This TCS thread discusses using a pre-mix with baby food: How much premix do you need to add to a jar of baby food for assist feedings, and what's a good source of fiber/bulk to include as needed?

Since Applaws is basically just meat in liquid, you can just use a pre-mix with it.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is remotely as picky as mine, Thrive is the only complete wet food she will ever eat. I could feed a whole colony with all the cans I thrashed over the years.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is a good nutritional supplement that can be added to food which seems appealing to cats?
idk if you are asking what you could add to make the food more appealing or to make it complete.
If it's the former, fortiflora or some powdered freeze-dried meat can help.
if it's the latter, you could look at supplements for homemade recipes. There should be a german site that sells a powder specific for cooked meals. At the very minimum and not long-term, calcium carbonate (or powdered eggshells) and taurine.