Nutrition For A New Kitten

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby Ms. Jellybean had a kitten three and a half weeks ago,four weeks this Thursday. He's doing very well and progressing wonderfully! When should I start giving him wet food,dry food and introducing him to the amazing litter box? Anyways I can help with the transition to normal food and water? Also,when would it be safe for me to trim his nails? Thanks for any information! This is my first time with kitten from birth, all the help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most kittens are ready to try pate-style wet food around 5 weeks old. You can make it mushy in the beginning by mixing it with water or kitten formula. Same with kitten chow - kittens like it softened with formula.

Baby teeth come in at 4 weeks, making the transition easier.

Once the kitten begins eating solids, start putting it in the litter box (kitten-sized with non-clumping litter) before and after meals.

You can trim the nails now - just the tips.

Do you plan to keep the kitten?

:)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! What would be the best type of formula to mix with the food once he's ready?

And yes,I plan on keeping him. We've named him Lil Punkin. It would break my heart separating him from Jellybean since he's been the only survivor of two litters. And Jellybean loves having a new playful kitten around. I can't find it in me to ever separate them.