nutrional hell zone - diahrea to constipation and now a prolapse result..trying to avoid prescriptio

hivalb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Enet. I did some online research yesterday and then talked to the vet about potential treatment options. He said my cat has an anal ring fistula, with digestive issues. Yesterday I read about using a combo of antibiotics for a different sort of fistula (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/digestive_system/diseases_of_the_rectum_and_anus/perianal_fistula.html) which is expensive, and zinc oxide diaper rash cream. I don't love the idea of using antibiotics. Meko is already constipated and this will make it worse (as I hear the steroids do), plus there's the worry of resistance developing and killing off all her good gut bacteria. Has anyone tried the zinc oxide cream? The vet said it wouldn't hurt and to try it, but that my cat may simply lick it off in which case it will do no good. I will let you know how it goes. Per the vet I am also upping her Vetasyl (fiber pill) to one pill per feed to make her go #2. I think I'd also like to try a limited diet as well. If she's constipated will a high protein diet be the wrong thing for her? Her poops are fairly firm. I agree with you Enet that mucking around with all these meds have side effects and can compound the issue. Patience, too, is difficult. Yesterday I was home all day and did not see Meko use the litter box at all. She had some involuntary single poops come out. I looked all over the house and can't see where she might be peeing if she's not doing it in the box. But she can't be comfortable, and this is where it's hard to sit by. Her fistula is not as huge as the one that Enet posted, at least not usually. It comes and goes with defecation, not surprisingly. In any case, hopefully our conversations will help others down the road as you said.