Nutri-Cal

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
after a battle with fleas, which i learned a couple of my kitties were under weight and one was diagnosed with Flea allergy Dermatitis i bought my Kitties a tube of Nutri-cal to supplement their dry food at first one of my kitties loved it as would have eaten the entire tube in one sitting but as i've slowly switched from Purinia cat chow to the better dry food of American Journey grain free salmon cat food he's stopped wanting to take the nutri-cal supplement is this normal or is their something wrong in the second half of the tube? none of the others has ever cared for it and its a battle to get them to take any i just feel its odd that he loved it fr about a week and a half- two weeks and now acts like the others is this normal? or should i throw out the rest of the tube because its somehow gone off?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens can quickly get bored of food. If the NutriCal is no longer needed, I wouldn't bother offering it. Just feed the kittens as much as they want to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens can quickly get bored of food. If the NutriCal is no longer needed, I wouldn't bother offering it. Just feed the kittens as much as they want to eat.
he's a 7 y/o adult cat who was under weight the vet had suggested it would help him gain he's gained some but not as much as she would like as he's part Maine Coon and at the time you could feel his ribs easily now not so much but his spine is still easily felt and she'd like to see him gain another 2-3 pounds.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know about Nutri-Cal, but I know with other gel type foods, if there is oil in them, they separate pretty easily so that would definitely effect how it is in the tube. with mine, I shake it up really, really well when I first get it, then store in the fridge so it doesn't separate. But mine is hairball gel. Could this possibly be the issue? Otherwise, maybe the American Journey is simply more satisfying and he doesn't feel the need to eat anymore. You could see if he'll eat some freeze dried meats as treats. They're pretty caloric. Something like Purebites, or Life Essentials.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Nutri-Cal, but I know with other gel type foods, if there is oil in them, they separate pretty easily so that would definitely effect how it is in the tube. with mine, I shake it up really, really well when I first get it, then store in the fridge so it doesn't separate. But mine is hairball gel. Could this possibly be the issue? Otherwise, maybe the American Journey is simply more satisfying and he doesn't feel the need to eat anymore. You could see if he'll eat some freeze dried meats as treats. They're pretty caloric. Something like Purebites, or Life Essentials.
thanks it hasn't seperated and i've been keeping it on my desk and never thought of refrigerating it but i'll look into the freeze dried treats and see how those go over with him he just needs to gain a bit more. i think part of being underweight was the food, my mom always swore by Purinia but i think the American Journey is doing them much better even if it is a lil over twice the price.