Elderly cat hasn't eaten or drank all day

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My elderly cat (16 years) hasn't eaten or drank water all day, all she did was lie down on the bed. All day. I'm severely concerned, she's been vomitting recently but today she hasn't even eaten. Does this mean her time's up? I don't know what to do.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to coax her to eat with her favorite treats. If there is no improvement within the next day take her to a vet. You don't want to allow your geriatric cat to go without food or water for a prolonged period. It leads to all sorts of other, costly problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she been to the vet lately? It would be a good idea to get her seen ASAP as she could be a bit dehydrated from the vomiting and the lack of eating could be due to nausea.
I've tried to convince my parents to take her to the vet but they say she's too old and that they don't want to put her through the stress of taking her there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Anytime you think there might be a problem with your cat, there is. Any cat that is not eating or drinking for that long needs to be seen right away. They decopensate quickly.
My parents don't want to put her through the stress of taking her to the vet. I tried to convince them

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having had cats into their twenties. Your girl could have a lot more time in her. I agree with others here she needs to be seen by a vet. It could be something that is easily treatable or if untreated progress into something worse.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents don't want to put her through the stress of taking her to the vet. I tried to convince them
I had two sibling cats, each 15 years old, both lose interest in eating and drinking last year. For one of them, Xena, it turned out to be the start of a long, slow decline, and in the end, there wasn't much that I could do. But for her brother Casper, all that was needed to perk him back up was a slight reduction in his Methimazole (medicine for hyperthyroidism) dose. He's still alive and happy today.

Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet. Even if whatever ails her cannot be successfully treated, you don't just want to let her die "naturally". Euthanasia is much kinder. I'm speaking about this from painful, awful experience.