Nutkin and high fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im just throwing this idea out there. What if he is a wild cat and his normal temp is higher than a domestic? Like how felines, in general, run a higher temp than humans? I have no basis to say that, its just a thought.

Still sending so many vibes for your boy, it must be so frustrating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My own vet and I talked through that idea last week. But although we agreed that some cats do have higher temperatures than others, there is no way it would be as high as 40 or especially 41.6, which is the highest he has been. And he is breathing too fast and is very lethargic, not behaving like a kitten at all.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well if its a virus that has to run its course, are you giving him any immune boosters?

Like Lysine that is used for herpes, but it slows donw viral replication or Transfer Factor that Tammie used with Jake to build his immune system.
Im sure there must be others, thats what I can think of off the top of my head.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea. I had not thought of that and no one has suggested it. I will look into what is available and suitable.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that the FIV/FeLV has come back negative twice. It sure is worrisome though that he keeps spiking that fever.

I am wondering if there is any specific virus or maybe blood born parasite in your area that would cause a cyclical fever like that. Maybe a tick transmitted disease?

Like you and Pami, I too was thinking if Nutkin had some wild genes that maybe it was affecting him. If the new bloodwork and Xrays don't give any definitive info I wonder if calling one of the zoo or sanctuary vets that deal with the wild cats might be worth a try. They might have some insight that would be out of the norm. Maybe some type of illness that is more prevalent in wild and or feral populations that domestic cats wouldn't be exposed too usually.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Nutkin dead this morning. He was peaceful, lying on the floor with mouth and eyes closed, so I hope he died in his sleep. Mods, please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.