Nursing momma

Oliviarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Sammy, has a liter of 7, born 8days ago. She only has four functioning nipples and they suckle all over her belly so she has a patch of raw skin from them. I thought it would be better once they open their eyes, although it’s only been about 2 days so maybe it’ll get better with more time. Is this something I should be worried about? I can’t find anything on google and I don’t want to take her to the vet if it’s not truly serious.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm pretty sure this is not going to get better. Can you ask your vet, or local rescues, if they know of a mama cat who lost her kittens, or has only one kitten and could nurse three of yours?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! Apply coconut oil to the area to help soothe and heal. The oil is non-toxic to kittens.

The real problem here causing it is 7 kittens who all want to nurse at the same time and only 4 nipples. I recommend that you begin supplementing the kittens with formula and a syringe. This will help all of them to fill up and suckle less on mom’s skin while waiting their turn on a nipple.

Here is a helpful video for feeding tiny kittens:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

If mom’s raw patch gets worse it could get infected. Keep an eye on it!