Nursing Mom In Trouble.

SmittyFlowerBud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, completely new here and need some help for mommy cat. Please.

Mom kitty gave birth 3 weeks ago. She seemed to stop having milk and babies are now being bottle fed. However, just one day of kittens being bottled fed mommy's milk came right back. She is swollen with milk now when she hasnt been for many days.

I go to touch the nipples and milk dosent seem to come out

Anyone know what is going on? My very first prego cat experience. Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SmittyFlowerBud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, she is a feral cat that I now have inside for her recovery. Can I put flea treatment on her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is swollen with milk you should put the kittens back with her. You can apply warm damp compresses to her mammary glands to soften them and give her some relief. If you think she is not well you’ll need to get her to the vet. Mastitis is treated with antibiotics.

You can put Advantage II flea medicine on the back of her neck.

S SmittyFlowerBud

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS and THANK YOU for taking in a homeless mama kitty!! :hithere:
:sunshine:How many kittens does she have? At around 3 weeks, the ferals will begin bringing the kittens out to eat at the communal feeding spot so it's awesome that you had the foresight to bottle feed! I agree with Sarthur2 that you should put the kittens back on mom and see if they show signs of not being able to get milk as well as observing how mama kitty handles it. Have you followed up on AbyeB's suggestion on feeling for hot glands? Please keep us updated