Nursing Cat Won't Eat

angel15158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I am new to this site.. I took in a pregnant cat and its male friend possibly mate and she gave birth 11 days ago. Everything was going great the day of her birth I was feeding her and she would eat, but the day after she didn't and I thought hmm ok maybe she's just a little bit busy with her newborns.. but then 2 day she ate a little bit but not on day 3 so we gave her some time and we had to start force feeding her cause of how skinny she got on day 5(she has been force fed for 5-6 days now). I am a broke 19 year old and can not take her to a vet, but I've grown extremely attached to her and I am in fear that I will lose her.. Her male friend seems to help her care for her kittens when she leaves the room though.. and she seems to look brighter if he's near, but I fear for the babies so I never let him in without me.

*****Please no judgement, I really want to help them and my cat I've had for a year already loves them.*****

Things I noticed:

Discharge from eyes
No eating or drinking
Trouble breathing(hard but not fast) but my vaporizer seems to ease it
She makes a congested sound sometimes
She still grooms herself and her babies
She is still producing milk due to being force fed I assume
She coughs when I'm out of the room
She still meows and purrs
She sniffs the food but looks away

Things I tried:
a/d hills I got from a friend (currently force feeding)
dry food with milk
Warmed up wet food
Cat treats she loves

Things I will try later today:
Tuna
Baby food without garlic and onion
Boiled Chicken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angel15158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's my babies.(They dislike photos, but I needed at least 1..)
21015698_1264736110303563_4537783680107221287_o.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is surely a case for a vet visit, but if you cant, so you cant. Perhaps if you find a cheap vet, would it be possible? Later on there will be the question of spaying and neutering. Where do you live, what state and city?
Perhaps a shelter / HS in your town could help? They can seldom take care of a full litter, but they can sometime help with vets. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 will have more ideas and proposals. (others are welcome too of course).

The male here isnt no danger for the kittens, sweet he is helping out, them even being a full family group. Not that common but yes, it happens.
Nice they are OK with your resident, and he with them. Be sure resident is isolated from them, till you know they are healthy and no contagions.

How many kittens are there? Which of the adults is who? I guess the ticked tabby is momma?
Both seems Ok to a quick look. Both are sweet too. :)

What you are doing seems very adequate as far it is the home caretaking. Enticing and forcefeeding is necessary yes.
Perhaps more of calcium sources - goats milk, kmr, full fat yoghurt. Perhaps a little cheese. Cheddar seems popular.
Otherwise you can sprinkle a little of boiled egg shells, crushed into fine powder.

Raw egg yolk - perhaps mixed with something, is nourishing.

Add a little glucose sugar / honey to her water, gives energy...

Idea: the coughing, could it be worms? some of them may go into lungs. If so, a good deworming should help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
*****Please no judgement, I really want to help them and my cat I've had for a year already loves them.*****
Pray for when they day of Judgement comes, you will be judged with this here as your main case and evidence.
If so, you wont need no defence lawyers. :)
The gate upstairs will open immediately for you. So is my belief.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. As momma is sick, prepare you must perhaps supplement feed the kittens, to relieve the burden of her. Got home the gears; a needleless syringe (or possibly a sponge á la make up sponge), kmr or goats milk.
A scale is essential, so you can follow up if they gain 10gram every day, or not.
Best electronic scale measuring in grammes. - you can probably borrow one from some friend or neigbour.

angel15158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama cat is the ticked tabby haha. She looks great in the photo but when she stands you can see her back legs. She only had 2 kittens and I plan on neutering the male in about a week, it cost $25 where I live and I can handle the cost of that and when momma can get spayed she will get spayed as well lol. I'm also not sure about worms but her purr also got very raspy. I also already have kmr and the bottles in case.
Thank you so much for the suggestions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good its just 2 kittens, less burden on her system. Still, you must watch out so they gain properly.

Observe, kittens whom have momma, are often reluctant to bottle, that is why I suggested other gear. Do try with bottle at first, its easiest and safest, but be prepared to try with something else.

The tabby and white male is ticked tabby too on his tabby parts. So its quite possible they are related. Ticked tabby although a strong gene, isnt not that common in the broad cat population.

angel15158

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good its just 2 kittens, less burden on her system. Still, you must watch out so they gain properly.

Observe, kittens whom have momma, are often reluctant to bottle, that is why I suggested other gear. Do try with bottle at first, its easiest and safest, but be prepared to try with something else.

The tabby and white male is ticked tabby too on his tabby parts. So its quite possible they are related. Ticked tabby although a strong gene, isnt not that common in the broad cat population.
I see so he may be her brother? I have a bottle and syringe but never heard of using a sponge.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, this with sponge is quite new idea. It was a forumite here (sorry I dont remember the name) whom suggested it perhaps one year ago. I did bought the idea immediately. :)

Their body shape isnt very like, but yes, he could be her brother. Perhaps explaining why they are such good friends. Alhtough it happens in the wild too the tom is pairing up with the female, helping to protect and take care of the kittens etc. Not common, but not unheard of.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has the kittens any white on them? If he is the daddy, one or even both should have some white. If none, chances are he isnt the biological daddy. Just the plastic daddy, as we say in Sweden. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom probably needs an antibiotic. Please tell us where you are located and we can try to help you to find a rescue or low cost vet to help.

The male can get her pregnant again already, even without her going into heat. He will also be fertile for a month after his neuter.

When you say milk, do you mean cow's milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. She only had 2 kittens and I plan on neutering the male in about a week, it cost $25 where I live and I can handle the cost of that and when momma can get spayed she will get spayed as well lol.
Its really a very good price, in niveu of low cost spaying clinics. Even if I presume spaying costs more than neutering.

I wonder, if the same cheap spaying vet, is perhaps cheaper in other treatments too, compared to the usual fashionable private practising vet.
It is smart to look it up.

Again, normally its a clear vet errand. Also, even if its "hopefully" worms in lungs, if so, its a heavy infection of them, with that much symptoms. Cats have died from less, and Im not sure a common dewormer will be enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A angel15158

EMERGENCY!!! RED ALERT!!!

Your cat is not eating because she is very, very sick. She has a respiratory infection that requires antibiotics to treat. It sounds like pneumonia. She can die.

She needs clavamox ASAP! Please take this seriously.

You need to spring for a vet visit to get the clavamox. Ask for a payment plan if need be. It should only be an office visit fee plus the meds.

She is not going to get better without antibiotics.

Please call a vet today!