Nursing Cat With Swollen Nipples!!

Georgia97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have a beautiful 2 year old baby whos had her very one beautiful litter of 7 now this is her first litter and she is doing so well, she doesn' reject any kittens and we are on 15 days so far!
My only concern is her nipples seem to be swollen, I understand she has 7 kittens that need a lot of food to keep them strong so it is to be expected but in wary of her developing further problems.
I spoke to the local pet store yesterday who sold me some milk formula for the kittens (which she also has been drinking as it' good for mama cats), He sold me a nursing kit and told me to hand feed them as much as possible to take the strain off. She is still spending time with them but we have covered her nipples for now and are feeding them as much as they will drink each sitting.
I have never had a litter before and just want to see if there is anything else I can do? Mama still isn't rejecting kittens even with me handling and feeding them but just wanting what's best for all of them.

Appreciate any help and please no nasty comments, she is booked in for nuetering next month, she was an indoor cat who escaped one day.

Thank you xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a photo of her nipples? Not allowing the kittens to nurse isn’t advisable, but she may need antibiotics if it’s mastitis. If they are just chapped, you can use a coconut oil to help soothe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please use coconut or olive oil on her nipples 2-3 times a day. They sound chapped. The oil is non-toxic to the kittens and will soothe her nipples.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it seems more than chapped to me, she has fed them twice today but it's only getting worse, she's booked in at the vets on Friday but I'm really worrying.

They were no where near as bad earlier on today :(

Georgia97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard of mastitis, my friends cat had that when she had the litter I got my boy from. Does this look like it could be it? My poor baby :(

Georgia97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you post a photo of her nipples? Not allowing the kittens to nurse isn’t advisable, but she may need antibiotics if it’s mastitis. If they are just chapped, you can use a coconut oil to help soothe.
Seems a bit more than chapped they'e swollen more than earlier :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you oiled her nipples?

Can the vet see her before Friday?