Nursing Cat In Heat

Asrilr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat just give birth to 2 kittens about a week ago, and she is taking care of her kitten really well. Until last night she seems to be in heat, and in my area there's a lot of male stray cats that keeps yowling at night.

This morning, she asks to go outside (usually just take a stroll outside and pooping-she never use the litter box I prepared for her) and I let her to go, because she usually go for at most an hour. But today she goes for almost 5 hours, and her kitten is crying without sound, which makes me very upset. And I couldn't find her nearby. And when she got home, she immediately nursing her kitten and taking care of it.

But tonight she slips outside again (I forgot to close my door :( ) and maybe gone for almost 12 hours :(

What should I do with the one week old kittens?
Should I spay the mother? Cause I read it's better to spay when the kittens are weaned.

Thanks in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes here you must spay her as soon the heat is over. Hopefully she will continue to have milk - they usually do. Of course prepare you must handfeed the kittens a couple of. Days.

How are the kittens now?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seconding this. She should not go through another pregnancy.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From reading these posts, ( 3 posts up in particular), the queen has already spent a considerable amount of time out of doors, so probably chances are she is pregnant again. Stephanz and talkingpeanut, this is directed to the two of you. If she is indeed pregnant again, are you suggesting that she go ahead and be spayed in this "early pregnancy stage" at this time? Just would like to know the protocol in situations such as this, thanks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From reading these posts, ( 3 posts up in particular), the queen has already spent a considerable amount of time out of doors, so probably chances are she is pregnant again. Stephanz and talkingpeanut, this is directed to the two of you. If she is indeed pregnant again, are you suggesting that she go ahead and be spayed in this "early pregnancy stage" at this time? Just would like to know the protocol in situations such as this, thanks.
Yes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep your cat indoors only and arrange to have her spayed as soon as possible. She will still be able to nurse her kittens.

I assume you were not aware that a cat can go into heat and mate again only a week or two after having kittens.

What is your city and state? I'll help you find a low-cost spay clinic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asrilr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank God the mother already came home and immediately go nursing her kitten. The kittens are sleeping right now, but then the mother asks me to let her go outside and of course I wont let her.

Please keep your cat indoors only and arrange to have her spayed as soon as possible. She will still be able to nurse her kittens.

I assume you were not aware that a cat can go into heat and mate again only a week or two after having kittens.

What is your city and state? I'll help you find a low-cost spay clinic.
Yeah, I'm not aware that the mother could get in heat so soon after giving birth

Thank you for your kind response, but I live in Indonesia, and I will see my vet this Saturday.

Anyway what can I do to the cat in heat? Actually I just take her as a pet at June 2017, and this is the first time I have cats.

Thank you :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much you have to do when they are in heat except for make sure that she remains indoors at all times away from intact male cats. It is important that you are able to get her in for a spay ASAP since she is more than likely pregnant again. How are her kittens? 12 hours is a long time for week old kittens to not eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asrilr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I will keep her indoor, because the male cats are waiting for her outside my house.

Thank God now her won't leave her kittens, and the kittens are quite well, I hope. I will bring them all to the vet to make sure they are alright, and spay the mother.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If momma gets NOW her new litter, 1. It will be an extra strain on her body; giving milk to her raising kittens, and have new in her. 2. Having a new litter inside, she will tend to be less motherly to these already born. And of course, she must get rid of them latest when the new ones comes. So it will come earlier than otherwise.

These are the main reasons why to spy her NOW, before anybody can say she is preg, as nothing will be visible for almost 3 weeks. So it wont be no ethical issue either. A later spaying many will see as an ethical problem.